We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day touring

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nuremberg
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First day touring

Another question about our trip in August. Due to the time change the kids (and I) will probably be awake very early in the morning. I can probably keep everyone quiet for a couple of hours but the sooner we get out to do something the better.

My plan for this day is to go either to the Natural History Museum or the California Science Center (provided the Expo line is running by then). Unfortunately, they don't open until 9:30/10 am. Any ideas of things we could do before that? I am considering a tour of Union Station which should at least eat up some of the time. Are there any places that would be fun for kids to eat breakfast at downtown (we are staying at the Biltmore)?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First day touring

It wasn't mentioned in the previous posts, but Angels Flight, which is across from Grand Central Market. Unfortunately, the market isn't open until 9 a.m. But, this is only a block from your hotel. The kids will be charmed by this historic funicular. Even better, it starts running at 6:45 a.m.

http://angelsflight.com/

http://www.grandcentralsquare.com/index.html

I love the pupusas here at the market. I used to live here and loved the place.

Thereafter, check out the revamped Civic Park. The park is just a couple of blocks east on Grand. The walk through the California Plaza, MOCA, Colbourne School is interesting.

http://civicpark.lacounty.gov/index.htm

I thought about recommending Clifton's. But, it is not clear when it will re-open. If it is, I'm sure that would be a hoot for everyone. I am a Clifton's veteran.

All this aside, I think even if you got to Exposition Park early, say 8 a.m., the grounds are very ammenible to exploration. I'm not kidding, but the parking structure is really cool. I think you'd find it easy to happily while away an hour here.

There's also a nifty playground at Grand/Hope & 9th which is excellent. It is one of my all-time favorite urban parks, which wonderful design details. There's an excellent grocery store right here, too. Plenty of options for breakfast here and nearby. There's an IHOP at 8th & Flower. You could also explore the grounds around the Staples Center and L.A. Live. If this place isn't on your radar, this might put it there. I like the Gretzky statue.

Just thinking about it, you might want to plan a trip to Culver City one evening. Lots of excellent restaurants and art galleries here. Might make for a nice break for the parents.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First day touring

There are other methods of reaching Exposition Park (Nat Hist Museum and Ca Sci Center) besides the Expo line. Check out our TOP QUESTIONS Box at the right to find out how to look up public transit routes. From the BOX, click on 'Should I drive or use public transit?' and then click on "Local Transportation". The BOX also has a "What to do?" topic which include 'Itinerary Ideas'.

Nuremberg
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day touring

Thanks so much for the ideas! Hopefully it will keep everyone occupied until the museums open.

I would also appreciate any further ideas for restaurants in Downtown or Hollywood. I see quite a number of recommendations ín other posts but it is at times difficult to know which ones would work with kids. Not looking for anything fancy and should definitely be family friendly. So far I am thinking of Philippes and maybe Olvera Street/Chinatown (any specific recommendations?) in Downtown. In Hollywood we are thinking of the brunch at the Magic Castle and the Disney Soda Shop.

4. Re: First day touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 February 2012, 16:05
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First day touring

It's not exactly gourmet food, but The Original Pantry diner at 877 Figueroa St. in Downtown LA is an LA institution that's been there since 1924. They're open 24/7. Their slogan is "Never closed, never without a customer" (I figure they've got a few on tap just in case they start running out!).

6. Re: First day touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:16