We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA area beaches

Warminster...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
LA area beaches

Anywhere to take my kids 12,10,8 to experience the beaches where there are alot of activities going on? Surfing, skateboarding, etc?

Thanks!

Aloha Brothers Surf Lessons
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Learn To Surf LA
Kapowui
Golden Wave Surf School
Equipment Hire, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA area beaches

There will be surfing at pretty much all of the major beaches - Zuma Beach in Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach. Venice is the most likely for skateboarding. Bicycling and rollerblading to some extent at most of them except perhaps Zuma. Beach Volleyball in Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA area beaches

Wherever you are staying, head west for a good beach. IMO, Venice is a bit funky (the boardwalk). Your kids would probably be more comfortable at Santa Monica's skate park, although it is not on the beach.

http://www01.smgov.net/comm_progs/skatepark/

Here is a list of local skate parks I found with a Google search:

discoverlosangeles.com/play/activities-and-r…

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA area beaches

In the "LA Area", I like Huntiington Beach, a main location for many beach related sporting events

www.surfcityusa.com

Edited: 25 February 2012, 20:41
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA area beaches

Keep in mind, however, that Huntington Beach, while a great place for kids, is not in the "LA area". It's neither in the CITY of Los Angeles; nor the COUNTY of Los Angeles but, instead is in Orange County which is southeast of Los Angeles. By car, it's a drive of 60 minutes (or more during 'rush hours') from central L.A. and Santa Monica. By public transit, it's 2 hours or more away.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA area beaches

The LA Area is the Southland, which covers Five Counties..... Including Orange County and places like Huntington Beach.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles_Area

As for time, using Google Maps and the destination as Union Station in Downtown LA...

Huntington Beach is about 45 minutes...

As a comparison, the city of Santa Monica is about 30 minutes

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA area beaches

I live in Los Angeles so I can assure you that Huntington Beach is not in L.A. -- the city or the county of L.A. Compared to first person accounts, Wikipedia is a poor source to rely on. Using Union Station as a landmark for measuring distances is a poor idea since downtown L.A. Is at the eastern end of our sprawling city. I stand by my previous remarks. As a resident of Orange, you are besr equipped to advise about Orange County.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA area beaches

The government calls the LA Metropolitan area to include Orange County.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan…

And FYI, there are PLENTY of links in the two Wikipedia articles I have linked to in this thread that shows where and why the terms are used.

Most out of town visitors that come here to TA use the term "LA" to mean the entire LA Basin, which once again includes Orange County.

Most folks couldn't even tell you where you crossed the county line between the two areas...

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is another thing that shows the entire LA Basin is known as LA.

Or the fact the LA Times Newspaper is delivered to my doorstep every day, or the fact that all the TV and Radio stations cover the "Southland", which is just one large area to most folks.

And all I did was make a suggestion and gave the tourist bureau link, as an option of places to look into staying, to be added to the other areas already mentioned.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA area beaches

There are plenty of good beaches in LA County. Depends on where you are staying, Orange County also has many excellent beaches. Without getting into a discussion of what constitutes LA or the LA area, you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. If it's convenient for you to get to Orange County, Newport and Laguna beaches are also excellent.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA area beaches

We ought to worry less about municipal boundaries (which mean almost nothing to most visitors anyway) and try to help visitors figure out where THEY want to go, rather than try and herd visitors to OUR own favorite places regardless of where the visitors themselves actually want to go, which, IMHO, happens far too often in these forums.

For Theresa, our OP, I read one of her other posts where she indicates that she and her family are staying for the weekend with her cousin. She doesn't say where her cousin lives exactly, but in general I don't think she needs to drive way out of her way to get in a good day at the beach - it sounds to me like most of the LA county, AND most of the Orange County beaches, have what she's looking for. So while its certainly up to her, wherever she happens to be staying I'm sure one of the closer beaches to where ever that is would be fine.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 01:24
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA area beaches

Thanks for the voice of reason MachThree. I've seen it on here time and time again where the DE's get into pissing matches over technicalities among themselves and with other posters instead of presenting the options with caveats and let the OP decide -- especially when there's not alot of specific requirements presented.