We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

I've booked my trip to LA with my son March 20-26th. We are staying at Travelodge Sunset/Vermont for the first 4 nights. We have a day-tour planned & a day at Universal. We are not getting a car and I have figured out the Red Line Subway fairly well.

My questions are... On the 3rd day I'd like to go to Santa Monica and walk down to Venice Beach. Is there a bus at the end of the Red Line i catch? I get so confused with the transit maps

Secondly, I am yet to reserve a motel for Saturday and Sunday night. I got tickets for the Kings/Bruins game at the Staples center Saturday night.

I was thinking a downtown motel would be good, that way we could explore downtown LA Saturday & Sunday and then head to LAX Monday.

I would like to find a place in the 100-150/night range that I would feel safe, close to the Game & downtown. I have no problem using a taxi...if thats possible after a game lets out.

The Metro Plaza Hotel or Americas Best Value Inn are the ones I keep thinking may be good. Am I on the right track?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

I wouldn't recommend trying to read the transit maps. The best way to find transit routes is to use the local transit website (metro.net) and enter your starting and ending points in the 'trip planner' at the right side of the page. This is an especially good way to find routes since the maps don't show the fact that some routes don't run on certain days or during certain hours whereas Metro.net will give all of the transfer options for the day/time of your transfer.

The most obvious transfer option from your hotel to Santa Monica is to walk south on Vermont Av to the corner of, ahem, Santa Monica Bl and take the westbound #704 Metro bus which ends its route in, Ahem, Santa Monica -- in the downtown area of Santa Monica, not far from the beach and other attractions. You could take a 1-minute bus ride south on Vermont to reach the #704 but it would probably be faster to walk.

FYI, your hotel is only about 15 minutes from downtown's 7th Street/Metro Center station (the center of downtown) whereas the Metrok Plaze in downtown is only about 8 minutes from the 7th Street station. So, why move to save 7 minutes of transit time? (Up to you).

The Metro Plaza and ABV are really basic 2-star motels. You could probably get a 3 or 4-star, closer to Staples in the same price range. The "Ramada LA Convention Center" is available for your dates for $78 + tax per night from easyclicktravel.com or from Booking.com for $90 + tax. This 3-star hotel is 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Staples. Frequent buses will take you to within a few minutes of the entrance in 6 to 8 minutes.

Another option is the 2-star Ritz-Milner Hotel which is less than 1/2 mile (.7 km -- a 10-minute walk) from Staples. It's only 1 block from the 7th Street/Metro Center station of the red line which will whisk you to Union Station in 6 minutes for your connection to the LAX Flyaway (express) bus to LAX. The rooms are small, however so try to get a suite which will still be small and one of you will have to sleep on a sofabed.

Another option is the L.A. Athletic Club. This is a strong, highly-ranked 3-star in downtown with no availability on Saturday night but with rooms available Sunday night for around $200 -- more than your budget but affordable if you stay at the Travelodge Saturday night.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

Thanks Hop!

Great info!

I didn't know there was a Santa Monica bus on Santa Monica Blvd going to Santa Monica . Now I know :). What would be the bus number to catch in Santa Monica to come back?

I am going to take your advice and stay at the same motel. I re-read the reviews and am quite content.

My concern was using the subway at night, after the game. Being lost and disoriented in the daytime is a whole lot different than at night.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

Staying the whole time at the Travelodge is a good call. In addition to the subway, there are lots of bus lines serving the area, and lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

My daughter and I recently did the walk from Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach. One of the shopkeepers directed us to a bus stop that would take us back to Santa Monica. The bus schedule was posted at the stop. Was a inexpensive, hassle-free way to return to our start point.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

I believe thats called the Tide bus. I read about it. It's .25c each and runs back and forth between beaches.

6. Re: Booked Trip to LA.... Couple of Questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 10:24