We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
preston
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

Hi

I have just booked 4 nights at the Best Western Sunset Plaza in West Hollywood because of the location. I had originally booked the Crowne Plaza Beverley Hills but changed this as me and my partner like to have a good choice of bars and restaurants to choose from.

Anyway, we will not have a car during our stay and will be relying on public transport. I have looked at the forums and there are very mixed reviews about the location in regards to public transport and a lot of posters are saying it is bad for access to public transport and Hollywood is much better.

Is it really that bad or is it just a minor inconvenience? I am used to hopping on and off metros/buses when visiting cities and find that part of the holiday experience.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

It depends of course on your itinerary. One major bus route stops near your hotel, which is Metro Bus 302 (fewer stops) and 2 (more stops) and runs on Sunset Blvd. However, this route tends to only have limited use. A much more useful route is Metro Bus 704 (fewer stops) and 4 (more stops) that runs on Santa Monica Blvd. From the Sunset Plaza, its going to be close to 1/2 mile walk down to Santa Monica Blvd. "Down" is the operative word here, as Sunset to Santa Monica Blvd. is downhill, but then of course is uphill on the way back. 704 is useful for getting to a lot of places or connecting to other bus routes. So as long as you don't mind the walk to this bus then staying at the Sunset Plaza isn't the end of the world without a car. Hollywood itself tends to be a little bit better depending on where you're going, as the buses you need are generally a bit closer to the hotels and then the Metro is right there which can be useful but not always as the Metro covers a relatively small area.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,788 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

That location is fine. You'll be fine.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,065 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

As someone who lives in West Hollywood, I concur with Mach's analysis. Sunset Bl is elevated above the city. The advantage: the views from Sunset Bl can be impressive. The bad news: to reach the major express bus line along Santa Monica Bl (the #704 bus), you'll need to walk down (and up) steep La Cienega Bl. You'll definitely get a workout if you plan to visit the westside (Santa Monica, Getty Center, etc). BTW, the express bus that runs along Sunset Bl (the #302) runs only briefly (eastbound -- toward Hollywood, downtown, etc: between 4 pm and 7 pm, Monday through Friday and westbound -- toward Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m., Monday through Friday.

Taking the #302 (or #2) to reach Santa Monica will result in your being dropped 'at the beach' north of downtown Santa Monica. If you plan to visit downtown Santa Monica (the 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, etc), you'd need to catch a second bus when get off the 2/302.

By now, you should able to determine which metro bus or rail route(s) are needed to transfer between any 2 points, i.e. your hotel and Santa Monica Pier. If you don't know how to do that, our TOP QUESTIONS and FAQs areas have sections on Public Transit/Local Transportation that explain how to use a starting and ending point to find the appropriate route(s).

preston
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

Thanks everyone for your input. The itinerary isn't finalised as we are only going in October but as this our first time to LA I am sure it will be the most popular tourist haunts like Universal Studios, Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, Venice Beach etc etc.

We are not adverse to a bit of walking and if we are too tired at the end of the day I am sure we can get a taxi to the top of the hill.

I will definitely be having a look at the Top Questions and FAQs for transportation as I like to know the routes before I go.

Thanks again

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,874 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

It is more than a minor inconvenience, but it isn't a major inconvenience either.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 22:20
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
75 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

"I will definitely be having a look at the Top Questions and FAQs for transportation as I like to know the routes before I go".

I am the same as you in this respect. For our trip in a couple weeks I have Googled all the places we want to go to from our hotel via bus on google maps. Google actually gives you the best bus route, time it will take and where you need to walk to if you select the google public transport option. I have done this for each attraction we plan to visit so as there is less stress on the day.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

>>Metro covers a relatively small area.<<

I disagree with this comment, especially talking about the LA Metro Rail Lines.

metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/metro_met…

By basing yourself near a station on the LA Metro Rail Lines, such as the Red, Purple, Gold or Blue Lines, you can go to many different locations, many of which are popular tourist areas.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

Valid point, Darkbeer, but they're planning to stay in West Hollywood, not on a rail line.

My view is that West Hollywood has good public transit during the day, not so good in the evening. The 704 Santa Monica Boulevard rapid bus referred to above only runs in the daytime. Local line 4 runs on Santa Monica Blvd. pretty frequently in the evening, though it's slower. Line 4 is the only one which runs 24 hours through this segment. Line 2 on Sunset runs roughly every 20 minutes in the early evening, then about every 30 minutes after 9 pm, until it stops running at 1 am.

There's a rapid bus that goes north-south on La Cienega Blvd. (line 705), it only runs weekday daytimes. You'd use this line to go to the Beverly Center area or points south on the Westside. On La Cienega, Local line 105 loses frequency in the evening to the point where it's only running once an hour.

It's a fairly long ride to Downtown LA, though you can make it faster by taking the bus to the subway. But it doesn't necessarily sound like Downtown LA is a key destination for you.

Hollywood is better for transit, mostly because you could walk to a Red Line subway stop. But if West Hollywood is a better fit for the rest of what you want, stay in West Hollywood. The most important travel mode, certainly for a car-free visitor, if not all visitors, is walking. So get where you can walk to what you want--the transit in West Hollywood is certainly good enough.

Edited: 20 March 2012, 03:12
preston
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

There certainly is a lot to take in.

Thanks for the information I will look at the attractions we want to visit and take it from there but this info is a great starting point.

10. Re: Is public transport in West Hollywood that bad?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 09:26