We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in LA

I am looking to plan a surprise trip to LA for my husband in June. He wants to attend the Anime Convention. We were looking to stay in the Shelter Hotel

Edited: 06 April 2012, 19:30
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in LA

That's great. Do you have a question? Before you post again, though, you should read the links on this page to give you information about LA. Across the top is a green bar with various topics. Upper/right and upper/left are additional information links. Read these and you'll most likely answer all you questions. Good Luck. Chuck...

ps: you already posted a very similiar post in Jan about your June trip, and got answers. You were also referred to the links I just referred you to.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 20:38
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in LA

Where is the convention being held? Will you have a car? Is there a particular reason you have selected this hotel?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in LA

Are you familiar with the neighborhood around the Shelter Hotel? What other sites will you be visiting? What's your budget per night for a hotel? What are your exact travel dates?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in LA

The convention is being held at the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 29th- July 2nd. I want to go to Six Flags which is about an hour away so will extend my trip until July 3rd.

I picked the Shelter Hotel but I am willing to look at other hotels. I do not have a hotel budget but always looking for suggestions of the best hotels in the area.

P.S. I had posted another post before about Los Angeles but didn't have a plan to go anywhere in particular.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in LA

The Shelter is a budget, somewhat stylish hotel in Koreatown. It's in an interesting part of town and has good transit access if you plan to use the buses and trains. I'd characterize it as a mildly "unconventional" choice, it attracts a lot of young people. It's not a long subway ride or drive to the Convention Center, but there are closer hotels if you wanted that. To state the obvious--it's a great location if you like Korean food! Just don't expect much luxury.

The Shelter is also close to "Museum Row," where the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LA's largest art museum), the Peterson Auto Museum, and several other museums are located. It's an easy bus ride/drive down Wilshire Blvd. Beverly Hills is further out Wilshire and eventually you get to the beach, though that's a fairly long ride/drive.

Six Flags is significantly north. You can get there on transit, but it would require several transfers--you probably want to rent a car for that day

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in LA

ok...so what about Rodeway inn?

7. Re: 1st time in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:41