We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help to Plan Last Minute Trip to see American Idol

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help to Plan Last Minute Trip to see American Idol

Hello! I have just received 2 vouchers to see American Idol on April 18! Being we live in Alberta Canada and only have a few days to plan this, I wanna figure out if me & my girlfriend should bother as we will only have 2 days! Arrive April 17th around 11:30 am and depart first thing April 19th

So q's are:

Where to stay near CBS Television City?

What to do on the first day in the area?(the whole second day will involve waiting in line)

How to get from airport to hotel ( shuttle bus, taxi & costs)

We both have been to California a few times but never stayed in this area. Thanks a lot for any responses :) I am not booking a flight until we figure it all out to make sure it is feasible!!

Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
CBS Television City
CBS Television City
157 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help to Plan Last Minute Trip to see American Idol

The closest hotel to CBS would be the Farmer's Daughter hotel which is basically across the street. Also in walking distance to this hotel is The Grove mall and the adjoining Farmer's Market complex. Other hotels nearby that I'm not as familiar with include the Roadway Inn, Beverly Inn and the Bevonshire Lodge Motel, all on Beverly Blvd. and all a short walk to CBS.

To get here from the airport, three options:

a) taxi, which would cost about $45 with tip if the driver sticks to the surface streets - there's a way to go via freeway but the route and thus the fare are longer/higher.

b) shared van shuttle - www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com - unlike a taxi, these can circle the airport to try and fill the van and can also detour along the way to drop off other passengers before they drop you at your hotel. $15-$16 per person.

c) take the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station ($7 per person), then the red line subway from Union Station to the Hollywood / Highland Station ($1.50 per person) and finally Metro bus 217 or 780 ($1.50 per person) to Fairfax / Beverly and walk to the hotel I'd not recommend this option because the shared van is barely more expensive and should take much less time. Also luggage on the Metro bus is not always a great idea.

I'd either stay at the location above, or in Hollywood around Hollywood Blvd. and Hightland Ave. which is a few miles away. From Hollywood / Highland, you can reach CBS by one bus, either Metro bus 217 or 780 towards Washington / Fairfax, exiting the bus at Fairfax Ave. and Beverly Blvd. which will put you at the northeast corner of the CBS property. Hollywood / Highland is as close as we have in LA to "tourist central" and has good public transit access to a lot of places as well as tour bus access (www.starlinetours.com). Hotels there span a range of prices including the Renaissance, the Roosevelt, Orchid Suites, Magic Castle Hotel, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, and the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel.

Transport options from LAX to these hotels is similar to the above but a bit simpler:

a) taxi - about $55

b) shared van www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com - again about $15 or $16 per person

c) FlyAway from LAX to Union Station ($7 per person) and then the Red Line subway to the Hollywood / Highland station ($1.50 per person) and then walk to your particular hotel.

For things to do on the day that you won't be going to CBS, try checking the FAQ's posted at the top of this forum, which include some sample one day itineraries.

Mentioned in this post
Bevonshire Lodge Motel
Bevonshire Lodge Motel
82 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Highland
Highland
California
Washington
Washington
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,064 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help to Plan Last Minute Trip to see American Idol

Start with our FAQs - at the top of the LA forums, also read Top Questions on the right of your screen.

There are no free shuttles for hotels outside of airport hotels. LAX is about 40 minutes from CBS, a taxi would cost about $50. A bus to that area involves several changes.

See if the Farmers Daughter has availability. What is your budget for the hotel per night?

For things to do, read the FAQs

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help to Plan Last Minute Trip to see American Idol

Thanks this is great info :) I have checked Farmers Daughter and there is still availability! A couple hundred dollars a night is the most we wanna pay! Still deciding if we should go or not! Thanks again !!

4. Re: Need Help to Plan Last Minute Trip to see American Idol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:16