We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

Is it worth staying in a vaction rental instead of a hotel? Planning to be in the LA area for five days four nights. Will be renting a car to go to Universal Studios, Santa Monica beach and exploring LA.

I also would like any recommendations for safe areas of town? West Hollywood, Silver Lake..

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

There are advantages and disadvantages to these two types of accommodations:

1. Privacy: Vacation homes (and to a lesser extent, vacation apartments/condos) are private. No 'front desk' to pass on the way in and out; no maids knocking on your door at 8 a.m. At the same time, housekeeping is usually done at the end of the rental period rather than daily as at a hotel.

2. Parking: usually included with a vacation rental. Most hotels charge for this although less expensive ones, like the Orchid Suites in Hollywood -- a former apartment building that's been converted to a hotel with rooms that have kitchens -- has free parking.

3. Breakfast: usually included at hotels, especially, less expensive hotels although the 'free breakfast' is usually pretty simple: cold cereal, breads, juice, coffee.

4. Location: hotels are usually within walking distance to restaurants and sometimes, attractions. Vacation rentals are usually "a little bit away from the action" (although you'll have a car so it won't be a big deal).

5. Price: Vacation rentals (especially short-term ones -- less than a week) will be more expensive than a hotel You usually have to pre-pay before you get the keys (a deposit first and then the balance on your arrival date). You might be asked to post a 'cash deposit' which you'd get back when you move out.

It's kind of up to you. Some travelers would never stay in a hotel, instead preferring staying in a private home/apt. I've done both and neither one stands out, imo.

Take a look at our FAQs section (a link at the top of the TOPIC LIST). There, click on "Neighborhoods" for descriptions of the most popular neighborhoods. These are all safe places to stay. Examples include: downtown L.A., Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Grove, etc.

As in any big city, there are less than desirable areas that are adjacent to the 'safe areas'. Use common sense:

1. Don't walk into dark or deserted areas at night.

2. Don't wear expensive jewelry.

3. Don't wave around large quantities of cash.

Silverlake has good and bad areas. If you're looking at a vacation rental in Silverlake (or anywhere else, for that matter) be aware that property owners sometimes lie about the name of the neighborhood where their property is located. Saying that a property is located in Silverlake when, in fact, it's located in Echo Park, is an example of this. There are good and bad parts of both of these neighborhoods but before you send in any money, GET THE ADDRESS of the property or, AT THE LEAST, the CLOSEST two major cross streets. Tell us what these cross streets are and we'll make recommendations as to the safety of the area.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,839 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

For such a short stay, a hotel is best. I am not sure what the vacation rental regulations are in the city of Los Angeles, but just learned that, in Santa Monica, they are not allowed and the ban is being enforced (enforcement personnel are looking at VRBO and other sites to find, and shut down, the practice. So, if you wish to go the vacation rental route, you should ask the property manager if it is a legal vacation rental.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

Ok, thanks...Great information! I will do more research.

California
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

Hello Travel Lady from Houston ~

Having lived in the LA area for several years (not there any longer), I think that a hotel is the way to go, esp because you are staying only 4 nights.

As far as my choice of lodging properties in LA - and this is just me, I am not a fan of staying in a hotel in downtown Los Angeles or near the LA airport. Or near the Burbank airport. I want something where I can look outside my hotel room and see trees, gardens, patios and courtyard pools.

And I don't want to take out a loan on my house to pay for the room.

I have stayed several times at www.beverlygarland.com in North Hollywood. It is just a mile, if that, from Universal Studios. The small hotel (255 rooms) is spread over 7 acres. Sure, it was built in the 70s but it has been re-decorated many times. Rooms start at around $152/night.

In Pasadena, CA I would recommend www.pasadena.langhamhotels.com Rooms are approx $250/night to $1,100/night. Built in 1907, it's a beautiful spacious estate setting near the Huntington Gardens, Library and Art Collection in Arcadia, CA. For info on the Huntington Gardens, go to www.huntington.org

Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: LA Vacation Rental or Hotel..Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:43