We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Hi

We are arriving at LAX on a Monday evening about 9pm after what will be a pretty horrendous flight from the UK (we have the worst stop over time ever - 7 hours at Philadelphia). This is the start of a road trip so we plan to stay at a hotel at the airport before heading off towards Tucson the next day, and knowing our jet lag it will be a pretty early start.

Based on our late arrival time, would you suggest picking up the car when we arrive and then heading to the airport hotel, or heading straight to the hotel and then picking up the car the next morning? What time in the morning can you pick up a car? Would the hotel shuttle take us to the car hire or would we have to go back via the airport? I would appreciate advice from anybody that has done this or anybody that has an opinion.

Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

I'd suggest just heading straight to the hotel given how tired you're probably going to be, then picking up the car the next morning. That will also save you paying to rent the car for extra time, and no doubt will save you paying the hotel for parking - most hotels at LAX will charge for parking. Some of the LAX hotels have a rental desk inside of the hotel for one of the rental companies, so transportation to the rental lot might not be an issue in those cases. Likewise, some of the hotels are in walking distance to some of the rental companies, so it would depend on which hotel and which rental company you want to use. Failing that, yes, you can always get the hotel to take you back to the airport and then the rental company will pick you up there.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Thanks for the advice, I think that's probably our best bet. We're coming in at the tail end of May, and based on the fact that we're only there to sleep can you recommend a good (and not too expensive) hotel. We'll probably rent from Alomo if there is as hotel near that?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Alamo is about 3/4 miles from any of the hotels. The nearest of the less expensive hotels would be the Travelodge at LAX. Other hotels will be longer walks. Depending on what you mean by "not too expensive" (what would be your budget for the hotel?) then you might want to look at other options - Travelodge is quite basic and might be less money than you're willing to spend.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

That's the kicker isn't it. :-) Ideally (as we're not staying for any length of time and won't really get to use any facilities) I'd like to spend no more than $100 dollars, but similarly we don't like bad hotels so I don't know how feasible that is. With all out luggage we won't be able to walk to the car hire place, are taxi's easily available?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,902 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

You can definitely take a taxi from the hotel to the car hire lot (recommended!) The trip would not be more than 2 miles. Therefore, the taxi fare including tip would be less than $10 and take just 2 or 3 minutes -- a much better option than shuttling to LAX with your luggage, transferring to the car hire's shuttle, stopping at 8 terminals to pickup and drop off passengers and then heading to the car hire lot -- a transfer that could easily take 30 or 40 minutes!

The Holiday Inn Express is rated 2.5-stars versus the Travelodge's 2.0-stars and the former gets slightly better reviews. It's a little bit further from Alamo than the Travelodge but both are less than a mile away so a taxi would cost $$7 or $8. Here's a map of the Alamo (marked "B" on the map), the Travelodge (marked "C") and the Holiday Inn Express (marked "A") along with hotel reviews for the 2 hotels (link and SCROLL DOWN for the reviews in the center column):

http://mapq.st/JRyEF3

HIE reviews (link and SCROLL DOWN): tripadvisor.com/…UR128657915

T'lodge reviews (link and SCROLL DOWN): tripadvisor.com/…UR129380478

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

The Travelodge at LAX will be fine ... it's right behind Dennys, so the rooms are well enough away from the road, so there'll be no noise.

Yes you cna walk to Alamo ... it's behind the hotel. Take about 15 minutes.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Once you pick up your hire car, go along Manchester to the 405 freeway (San Diego Fwy).

Go over the freeway and turn right onto the ramp to go NORTH ... this will take you to the I-10 (Santa Monica Fwy) .. follow the signs for EAST and this freeway will take you through California to Arizona and onto Tuscon.

A nice, but long drive... may want to stop in Palm Springs for a morning cuppa?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Most of the hotels in the LAX area charge like wounded bulls for overnight parking, so I'd recommend arranging the car from when you actually want to depart, rather than when you arrive. Since you are in the UK, you might want to look at arranging your LAX rental before you get to the US - for significantly less than you would pay on arrival.

The best all inclusive rates I have discovered are on www.arguscarhire.com - and include all of the taxes, one way rental, extra drivers, all insurances with zero excess, tank of gas, the lot - drive away with nothing extra to pay. You might find a cheap rental rate on arrival in the US, but all the add ons and insurances quickly add up.

Brett (New Zealand)

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Hi

I would bid on priceline for a 4* @ LAX. You should get a pretty good hotel for around $60-$70.

I made a big mistake renting for the 1st night once, had to pay about $25 to park!

The hotels at LAX do free shuttles, so just use them, next morning go back to LAX and catch the car rental shuttle, then your on your way.

Clive

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late arriving flight - car or hotel first?

Thanks for all the advice, we'll definitely book our car hire in advance and this first night accommodation. How does priceline work, because I can't find a decent hotel for less than $140ish per night. We're looking at 30th July this year, is there something going on?