We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheres the best place to see the la river?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Topic
Wheres the best place to see the la river?

as its so long, wheres the best part of it like the bit from terminator etc lol

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

I grew up in northern Illinois alongside the Mississippi River. When I moved to southern California in the '60s and first saw the LA River, I laughed out loud. "That's not a river, that's a concrete ditch. The Mississippi -- now THAT'S a river!"

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

Yup, the LA River is a concrete flood control channel these days. So its hard to pick out a "best" part of something like that - its not very pretty - but if there is something like that, perhaps the parts east and southeast of Dodger Stadium.

This page has info on where the Grease scenes were filmed:

www.seeing-stars.com/locations/grease2.shtml

I think the terminator parts were around 6th street as well.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

Much of the 'river' has barely a trickle of water in it (I'm not exaggerating). One location which is kind of interesting and not too far from central L.A. is the part just south of Los Feliz Bl and just to the east of the '5 Freeway' at the western edge of the Los Feliz neighborhood. Here's a map of the route from central Hollywood to this section of the river. The "B" on the map indicates one of the entrance paths to the river (the entrance path is at the very end of Dover Street):

http://mapq.st/KBF0cU

(You can zoom in on the map using the "+" button at the right and move the map around by clicking-holding-dragging -- but don't click ON either the "A" or the "B"). Turn by turn directions are in the left column and can be viewed by using the scroll bars to the left of the map itself.

If you're using public transit, use the METRO.NET website (instructions on its use are in our FAQs area or in the TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page). Use "3400 Dover Street" as your destination).

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

HSJ refers to what's known as the Glendale Narrows, one of the few pretty much natural parts of the LA River. But some would say its fascination is that it's so unnatural. Others would note that there are many plans to restore parts of the river.

I like the view of the river from the Gold Line light rail bridge north of Chinatown station (on the way to Pasadena). You can't really get off near the river but it's a great view of all that's been put into that area.

There's a great history/analysis of the Los Angeles River--The Los Angeles River: Its Life, Death,and Possible Rebirth by Blake Gumprecht. There's also a guidebook published in association with Friends of the Los Angeles River.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 03:29
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

MachThree is correct. The section of the riverbed you want to see is just east of Downtown LA probably near 6th Street.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,535 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

The Los Angeles River was concreted in and a series of dams were built after the devastating flood of 1938 that killed over 100 Angelenos. Like many arid environments the LA River was low during the summer months but could be a raging torrent during the winter and spring.

The dams were built to store the water and control its flow. There are efforts to restore the river in areas.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_River

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMzRa0dxbxA

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,702 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

OP wants to see the LA River as in Terminator, so he wants to see concrete.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

Sorry, the site I mentioned above is at the EASTERN edge of Los Feliz, not the western edge.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

If you have access to the recordings of Ken Graydon, he has a humorous (in an easygoing way) song called "LA River." The most memorable line in it is "Ooze on, LA River, ooze on."

I have this recording someplace, but it's on a cassette tape so I'll have to crank up the old antique electronic marvel to listen to it. I'll try to come back and post the lyrics.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wheres the best place to see the la river?

I remember the LA River after the torrential days of rains we had back in the early nineties and it scared the heck out of me! I'll never forget it.

When I was young, one winter's rain washed out bridges along the Rio Hondo east of downtown LA.

They are seasonal rivers (Los Angeles, Rio Hondo, San Gabriel) but wow when we have some rainy winter weather they become RAGING rivers.