We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

Scotland
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

We are in LA early October staying at the Marriot Downtown. What's the best way to get to the Hollywood Bowl from there?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

Practice, practice, practice...

Sorry for the old joke. Will you have a car? Are you going to the Bowl for a scheduled concert or just to see the place?

Scotland
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

Not planning to get a car. Hoping to get tickets for a Peter Gabriel gig so it would have to be public transport.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 23:15
San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

hollywoodbowl.com/visit/…bowlbus-shuttle.cfm

Take Metro Red Line to Hollywood & Highland shuttle

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

From the Marriott , walk to the Pershing Square subway station at 5th St. and Hill St. From there take the Red Line subway towards North Hollywood - be sure to board the Red Line towards North Hollywood and not the Purple Line towards Wilshire / Western, as both subways use the same platform at this station. Take the Red Line at the Hollywood / Highland station. Now, you have two choices. You can either walk north on Highland Ave. to the Hollywood Bowl , about 3/4 mile. Or you can take the shuttle bus from the Hollywood / Highland center above the subway station (there should be signs directing you to the shuttle in the Center). The shuttle bus is free if you show your Red Line ticket - otherwise costs a few dollars.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,729 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

From the Marriott, I'd walk to the 7th St/ Metro Center Station, rather than to the Pershing Square Station as it is a little closer to the hotel, is an easy walk (straight down Figueroa St) and will put you onto the red line at a station that is closer to Hollywood.

As far as the shuttle from the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall to the Bowl, I'd skip it since:

1. You pick up the shuttle from the western side of the mall (Orange Drive, just north of Hollywood Bl) but the metro rail station is near the southeast corner of the mall. So, you'd be walking west about .2 miles / .32 km -- about a 1 minute walk AWAY from the Bowl.

2. Then you'd 'queue up' for the bus (10 or 15 minutes).

3. Then you'd ride it, getting stuck in the traffic on Highland Av up to and adjacent to the Bowl. (6 or 8 minutes)

Alternatively, you can exit the metro station, turn left and walk to the corner of Highland Av (20 seconds), turn left and follow the crowd to the Bowl -- about a 15-minute walk. So, you don't really save any time taking the shuttle.

Besides, if you want to 'be like a local', then you'll bring a picnic dinner with you and eat in one of the picnic areas on either side of Highland Av just before you reach the Bowl which you can reach more quickly on foot.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

I agree with HSJ. The 7th & Metro station is a better choice.

We are all assuming you're staying at the Marriot at Fig & 3rd. Or are you staying at the Marriot property at L.A. Live?

Scotland
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

It's the Marriot at Fig and 3rd.

Bit of a disapointment here, looked at my itinery last night and realised we actually leave on the Saturday evening so the concert is out now anyway :(

There is Jason Mraz at the Bowl the night before but not sure he is quite my thing!

Thanks for all the help though, i'm sure i'll have more questions in the weeks to come ; )

Edited: 01 June 2012, 19:56
8. Re: Downtown to Hollywood Bowl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:42