We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

Hi

we are an Aussie family with a 3 and 5 yo. We fly into LAX at lunchtime and home to Australia the following day at midnight. It is the final evening on our four week USA holiday. It will be the first week in November.

So we have a day and a half...

We will have been to Disneyland and are just considering if Beverly Hills (the BH Wilshire) or Santa Monica (unsure of hotel as yet) would be best?

If we stay in BH we would most likely:

visit Grove and Farmers Market

visit American Girl

maybe see Getty Museum and/or Villa

walk Rodeo Drive

If we stay in Santa Monica we may:

walk the jetty and go to the beach

chill out

do last minute shopping

I would love your opinions

C

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,690 posts
5,363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

Either works well - it all depends what you want to do.

Santa Monica is closer to LAX if that is a factor.

Are your 3 year old and 5 year old girls? American Girl cafe is a lot of fun for a parent kid dinner. Getty has good views - and some large areas outside (the galleries itself are not as kid friendly for your age kids.)

Ontario
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

I would go to Santa Monica - it offers more potential for the whole family to enjoy themselves. The kids will enjoy the rides and games on the pier and watching people fish as well as playing on the beach (providing the weather is good, of course).

There's a lot of opportunity for last minute shopping.

If you want to go to the Getty, it is actually very close to Santa Monica.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

Mini's right. Both options are worthy, particularly with the details you've provided.

Me, I think Santa Monica is the no-brainer option. Get something close to the beach. Your kids will love it. It will be easy and relaxing for everyone. November should be wonderful weather.

Regardless of where you end up, head to the Getty in the morning of your full day. Just explore the grounds and garden. Have lunch on the patio. Spend the rest of the day on the beach or elsewhere. Again, your kids will love it. Food's good, too. Everyone will remember this place for a very long time.

HTH

Boro
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

Hitch hit on a key point there, as a family, especially the kids, they will take a long lasting memory home of Santa Monica rather than Beverly Hills, just my opinion.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

If you are from Austrailia chances are you have good beaches near your home and will be somewhat unimpressed with Santa Monica's.

Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

Thanks for all your comments eveyone.

Are the farmers markets and Grove really really good? Or should be focus on the Getty Villa and the beach area? Or what else do you recommend?

I am not interested in dragging the children through Hollywood or spotting celebrities etc.

Are La Brear tar Pits wonderful? We do, however, want to have a relaxing time rather than rushing around. I think we will hire a car as well to make access easier.

Any hotels in mind in Santa Monica? Up to $500?

C

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

There are some ideas on what to do with young children here

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g32655-l217-Los_Angele…

In addition to the Page Museum, there is the California Science Center and Natural History Museum are not far from Beverly Hills.

The Getty and the Skirball are closer to either location.

All Santa Monica has is the beach and the boardwalk. And an outdoor mall.

Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

SO would you say that Beverly Hills was a fairly central location to all of the stuff we would consider doing? We are not fazed about nightlife or fancy nighttime restaurants at all.

C

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

It's more central than Santa Monica.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last night in USA: Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

I'm going to offer my opinion and agree with mlgb

it's not likely being from Australia you will be impressed by Santa Monica. Heck, I'm a Florida native who has lived in LA for 20 years and I'm still not impressed. And BH, no matter what people may think of it is more centrally located than SM considering some of the things you mention seeing.

the Grove is a mall (a pretty outdoor one, but it's still a mall) but the Farmers Market is a bonafide slice of LA history, and I think a trip to Los Angeles wouldn't be complete if you haven't been. Don't miss a Bob's doughnut, and pick up a box of the best English toffee you will ever have from Little John's Candies.