We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tips?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Driving tips?

Hi all,

We will be driving from LAX to Anaheim on our first day (prob going to hit rush hour in afternoon...3-4pm ish?)

We have never driven in America before and have heard nightmarish tales about LA traffic and driving!

Help! Any tips? What to do/not to do??!

Thank you!!!!

North east england
Level Contributor
694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tips?

Make sure you always carry your ID (driving licence and documents with you) apparently (we found out while there last month) its the law.

It is a bit scary the 1st time, but you soon get the hang of it, I'd recommend you get a satnav with your car, that way you aren't worrying about directions and map reading while driving.

Obviously remember which side of the road you are meant to be on, especially at junctions, traffic lights etc.

We drove for the 1st time when we were there, hubbie did most of the "city" driving while I did the free-ways.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tips?

My tip is stay in the centre lanes of the freeway .. because you don't know if the exit will be to the right or the left. Some freeways can be 6 or 8 lanes wide, each way.

The signs for exits, new freeways, interchanges and places like Disneyland are well signposted, well in advance, so you know which lane to get into.

The hardest part when you get into the car is turning left at an intersection... you have to go over and turn left .. remember to keep the passenger kerbside. Once you handle that, you'll handle everything else.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tips?

Basic rule.....never ever let your car tires hit or cross over a yellow line ! There are various markings on streets, highways, and freeways with most of the being white or yellow. DON'T cross the yellow!!

Dr. Z

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving tips?

1. Print maps of your route and consult the map before you depart. I usually like to check which exit ramp comes before mine, or which intersection comes before mine, so that I can have time to move to the right lane to exit. A GPS is well worth renting with your car.

2. Drive in a lane in which the speed is most comfortable for you. The left lane (or left two lanes) will move the fastest on freeways. Surface streets are different because folks are turning left and right so will be moving in and out of those lanes more frequently.

3. On surface streets, some left turns will not have a dedicated arrow. If you are the lead car at a signal light, when it turns green, pull into the intersection about 1 car length (of course, we don't do this if the lane has its own left turn arrow). We pull forward so that at least 1 car - and usually 3 - can make the left turn when the light turns yellow. Of course, you don't want to make that left turn on yellow without checking to see if opposing traffic has stopped!

4. Relax and take your time. The one thing that is positive about heavy traffic is that you and other drivers cannot speed.

Have a great time.

5. Re: Driving tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:41