We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

My son is looking to attend Keller at Pomona for his MBA and simultaneously attend the ROTC program at Claremont-McKenna, which I'm told the two are about 15-20 minutes apart. We're from OH and totally unfamiliar with the area.

We'd be travelling from Columbus, OH (CMH) and I can't tell if SNA, LGB, ONT, or LAX is better to fly into w/ having to rent a car. I want the cheapest airfare and least congested travel route to/from the airport. We're looking to travel in late July-mid August.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone is familiar w/ the area and where to find look for cheap apts/studios in aa safe area....that would just be icing on the cake!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,931 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Just to confirm, he is going to Keller, not Kellogg in Pomona?

LAX might be the cheapest because of volume, but check all of them. There is no doubt ONT is the easiest, but it has more limited flights.

I would look more in the Claremont/Montcalir area for apartments for him, not Pomona.

A nice hotel to stay close to Keller is the Shilo Inn in Pomona, Hotel Casa 425 or the Doubletree are nice hotels close to the Claremont Colleges.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Thank you Scottca075! Yes...Keller in Pomona. Thank you for the tips!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

La Verne is a nice town. It's immediately west of Claremont. Here is their web site: http://www.ci.la-verne.ca.us/

It's about 3 miles closer to Claremont than Keller, which is about a 6 mile drive from La Verne.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Thank you GourmentSpector! We need all the advice we can get!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

http://www.thevillageclaremont.com/

Make sure you check out the "village" streets of Claremont, adjacent to the colleges...it has a midwest small town feel to it, which might help the adjustment...check out Some Crust Bakery, legendary cookies there.

Ontario is an excellent airport and the closest by far.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 23:45
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Fares all look about the same and require connections so Ontario is your best bet, followed by Burbank. Not just for distance but also for ease in-and-out of the airport area.

Also look for rooms in homes in Claremont, a popular area for little old ladies to rent out bedrooms in their nice homes, usually quite close to campus.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Anyone have leads on how to narrow down a search for rooms in a home/safe area (low crime) in/near/around/between Claremont and Anaheim area. My son will be attending Claremont-McKenna for ROTC and Keller School of Mgmt in Pomona.

Has a 2nd job interview w/ a company in Anaheim....so we're trying to refine our search for a place to live and make the best use of our time looking while in town in mid-August.

Any links/resources for such a housing search would be most appreciated!

I love the suggestions so far........keep 'em coming!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
177 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

I used to live in Claremont and travelled a lot for work. I flew to Dayton at least 5 times a year from Ontario but the flights were all through chicago. The price difference was minimal. In fact most of the time it was way less...

With that said the inland empire has been hit hard by economic reality and this airport, last I hear, was hanging by a thread. Many routes were cancelled over the years so the sitch may be totally different.

Claremont is 'safer' and nicer I suppose but way more expensive. Laverne is probably your best bet. Or the southern or eastern edge of pomona. Pomona itself can be sketch in areas but it is a lot cheaper than other places in the vicinity.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

If a job in Anaheim is a possibility, then FYI, rush hour traffic going west oin the 10 then south on the 57 (Claremont/Pomona area to Anaheim) will be a lot heavier than going north tghen east. That might be a factor, depending on his schedule.

Pomona can be very sketchy.

Walnut and Diamond Bar might be possibilities if Pomona/Clarement don't work out. Bedroom communities both, but safe and with good freeway access. Fullerton and Placentia also have a lot of student-friendly apartments (Cal State Fullerton is right there). But that's getting even farther away from school for him.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Checking out Claremont-McKenna college and Keller at Pomona

Thanks all for the tips/updates. Anyone else out there familiar w/ the Anaheim, Pomona, Claremont, Chino Hills, Fullerton, Diamond Bar areas of CA....please give a "shout out" regarding safe and reasonably-priced areas for a grad student to live (w/ a car).

Any tips about the traffic patterns would be helpful too. We're from OH and I'm sure it'll be a change to what we're used to out here. Lastly, anyone know of good places to search for decent roommates in these areas?

Thanks, Pam