We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UCLA Bruins game

Wednesbury...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
UCLA Bruins game

Hi,

We are visiting LA from the UK in October and I really want to go see a college football game.

Where abouts should I try and get seats? High up? Lower the better?

Is it easy to get to the stadium? We have a car while we're there, is it easy to park at/near the stadium or best to use public transport?

Any other tips about going to a game or getting there will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UCLA Bruins game

OK, the UCLA Bruins home games are at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. By far, public transit is the way to go. Find a way to get to the Gold Line to Pasadena, and take the special buses to the Stadium, which is located in an isolated area.

www.metro.net

I prefer the higher level but more central (closer to the 50 yard line) than a lower level seat. (But I know the game, and prefer to watch the flow of the game, everyone is different).

Driving a car to the game is a pain in the butt, and more than likely, you will end up parking on a golf course fairway....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,742 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UCLA Bruins game

There is only one UCLA home game in Oct., on the 13th vs Utah. There is a USC game on Oct. 20th, vs Colorado. USC is likely to be a much better team than UCLA. So if that fits your schedule and you can get tickets, I'd suggest going to the USC game.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UCLA Bruins game

Go to the USC game!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UCLA Bruins game

Go to the UCLA game! (Once again impartial advice takes a back seat to partisanship.) (The OP should be informed that USC and UCLA are deadly rivals; for myself, the 25-22 triumph in 1975 is still one of my top 5 sports moments!) Anyway, the Rose Bowl is in a much nicer area. Otherwise, you have to choose between being driven mad by repetitive UCLA "8 claps" or by the pompous tones of USC's signature music "Conquest." :-)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UCLA Bruins game

The USC game is at the Coliseum. I haven't been for years (UCLA played its home games there when I was a student but that was a long time ago), so can't give ideas on public transportation or parking. It's not in the best part of town, but it's a day game so I personally wouldn't hesitate to go. And maybe you could hit a coupel of the museums in Exposition Park beforehand.

To get to the Rose Bowl, it's easy to drive to any of several lots in Pasadena and taking a shuttle bus from there to the Rose Bowl. Some Internet searching should reveal the locations and costs. We did it and it was easy. Avoided almost all traffic. We were coming from Universal City and going to Ontario, so driving to Pasadena, going to the game, and then continuing on from there worked out best. Whether driving or public transportation is best depends a lot on where you're coming from. Pasadena itself is rather nice if you want to walk around, and dine, afterwards (there is plenty of food at the Rose Bowl itself). This is also a day game.

I like mid-level or lower, to get a good view, ideally not in the end zone, but it depends on availability and your budget. We got our tickets rather late so we just got the best tickets we could (and could afford).

Edited: 03 July 2012, 22:05
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UCLA Bruins game

p.s. what dates WILL you be in the area?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UCLA Bruins game

If I had a choice between a USC or a UCLA in October, I'd go with the USC game for a lot of reasons.

One, USC plays at the LA Coliseum, home of the 1932 & 1984 Olympics and it is adjacent to the USC campus. Before the game there are all kinds of activities on the USC campus including places to eat, the student bookstore is open so you can buy t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc.

Then about an hour before game the USC marching band performs several songs for the fans on campus and then marches to the stadium with a lot the fans trailing. It is a lot of fun is truly what college football is about, fun, family, spirit and pageantry.

The videos below show a bit of the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLe51JFUMw

www.youtube.com/watch…

And this video at the National Gallery in London. Where where the UCLA marching band for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee? Not in London :)

www.youtube.com/watch…

USC is also going to have a better team and is likely to enter this season as the top ranked team in the country and the quarterback should be the front runner for player of the year trophy, the Heisman Trophy.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: UCLA Bruins game

Scott, your last paragraph, we'll see.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UCLA Bruins game

Yes...Matt with his "beautiful blond hair" as Petros Papadakis describes him. Should be an exciting season!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UCLA Bruins game

>>>Scott, your last paragraph, we'll see.<<<

www.athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25