We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
128 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

I'd like to know what are the best value areas/neighborhoods where i can rent a room (in August!) that is cheap but good value and in a hotel/motel with good access to the center via public transportation.

I'll have a rental car so i can also visit by car if you think that's best, but usually with big cities (like SF) i was advised to forget about using the rental car.

thank you in advance

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,968 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

San Francisco is the only big city in CA that has good public transportation where a car is more of a hindrance than help. It is also only 49 square miles. Los Angeles is 10x bigger, 470 square miles and a lot of the popular tourist sites are even outside the city itself making the area even bigger.

What sights in LA did you want to see? What is your budget per night?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

OK, there are plenty of places in the Southland that have access to good Public Tranist.

I would statrt with the LA Metro system, and its rail and Metro Rapid buses, and see if you cvan find a low cost Hotel/Motel near a station.

metro.net/riding_metro/…rail_map.pdf

If you want to go farther out, look at the Metrolink Trains and Amtrak system.

The Anaheim area of Orange County has a lot of low cost Motel options near Disneyland, and has lots of good transit options, both public plus some private systems.

www.octa.net

www.rideart.org

Edited: 04 July 2012, 01:21
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

Please provide a list of the attractions you'll be visiting and then we can make hotel recommendations.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

I suggest looking at Culver City. They have a new metro stop, plenty of restaurants, and fairly close to beaches. Good freeway access, too.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
128 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

I checked Culver city, looks like a nice place but couldn't find a vacant hotel (August) with low prices (close to $100€ night), also tried other areas mentioned.

So i tried something a bit more away from the center and figure i'll have to use the rental car instead of public transportation.

The courtyard baldwin looks like a nice hotel, good price and it's near the highway.

We are looking to see mainly a hollywood studio, visit center LA, Beverly hills, rodeo drive, and some more main attractions. Beach is optional. not interested in Disneyland or theme parks.

any thoughts?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

Maybe try Orchid Suites. We had a pleasant stay there with free parking

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
128 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

Thanks, it does look nice but it's sold out. :(

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

You say "hollywood studio." I assume you know there's just one studio tour in Hollywood (Paramount). Warner Brothers, perhaps the largest, is in Burbank, and Sony (formerly MGM) is in Culver City. You want to visit "center L.A." Exactly what? There are some interesting things in the downtown area (e.g., Olvera Street, Angels Flight, Union Station, Bradbury Building, Grammy Museum), but most tourists go to other palces first. You don't just head to downtown to see the main sights of L.A. (and it looks like you want to see places beyond the City of L.A.). I'd do some more research on what you want to visit, and then check www.metro.net, before deciding where to stay. Except in outlying areas you'll probably have to pay for parking at your hotel.

You might consider using Hotwire or Priceline, though you wouldn't know the exact hotel until you pay. www.betterbidding.com contains posts from people showing what they got through both Hotwire and Pricelien.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 13:25
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
128 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

i ended up staying in baldwin park area which was a bit too far of the more interesting areas but i got a good rate in a nice hotel.

The downside was a daily 30min driving commute.

This location was useful in the last day because our next destination was the Grand Canyon.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay near LA (cheap, near center, transportation)

You should have listened to ddffpp and stayed in this B&B in Culver City -- tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d1784957…

HTH