We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

Hi everyone,Am planing a short stay in Sept/Oct.Flying in from Sydney and have 9 days to enjoy.Not sure to fly into LA,San francisco or Las Vegas? Would like to see all but not sure of where to start,what to avoid and what is not worth the effort.Will be stopping on the way back to Sydney via Hawaii. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

there will be 2 couples aged 40-50, Cheers

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

Vegas hotel room rates go up over the weekend so plan to stay any nights from Sunday night thru to Wednesday night to save a few bucks. Flying in to LAX or SFO won't matter much, though SFO is a nicer airport and may be easier to clear customs from there. We cleared at LAX and it was no problem. Probably took 50 minutes all up from landing till we were out the door with our luggage. I've heard it can take over 2 hours, but that wasn't our experience.

We found Southwest Airlines great for city hopping. Shame they don't do Hawaii yet. Get on their mailing list (and Vegas hotels mailing list/ members programs) for deals. Cheapest email deal with SW was LAX to Vegas for $45.

LA, SF, Vegas, all so worth the effort. I'm hoping for your sake the 9 days doesn't include Hawaii, as that's not nearly long enough for the 4. If you have to sacrifice one, I'd sacrifice LA, and do it properly next time. It's not that the others are necessarily better than LA, the others are just more value for short stays.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 13:06
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is 9 days plus Hawaii. Do you suggest to drive LA to SF and then fly to LV or fly between all? thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,724 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

>> what to avoid and what is not worth the effort <<

Without knowing more about you, your travel group, and your travel style, it's just about impossible to say what is 'worthwhile' for you.

I don't care for Las Vegas. Some folks spend two weeks there and can't get enough. Some visit San Francisco, see a few things, and don't feel the need to return. Some folks can visit SF over & over without repeating anything.

Do you love dramatic coastlines? Wineries? Fine dining? Picnics? Mountains? Museums? Nightlife? Golf? Photography? Architecture? History?

Nine days / 8 nights could be ...

SF (3) - Monterey (1) - Cambria (1) - Los Angeles (3) ... either direction

or

SF (3) - Yosemite (1) - Monterey (1) - Santa Barbara (1) - L.A. (2) ... either direction, but if northbound probably stay in Cambria rather than Santa Barbara

or

flights between SF (3) & Las Vegas (2) & L.A. (3) {There is my bias again ... fewer nights in Las Vegas! That's my preference. What is yours?}

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,150 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

I would suggest you look at a good guide book and read sample itineraries on this forum for ideas. We would love to help fine tune and provide advise but it would help if you tell us what you what are the things you like to see and do in the places you are visiting. Each city has a forum that you can read to get an idea.

Most flights to HI go from LAX or SFO/OAK. It would make sense to land say in LAS spend time there and either drive or fly to LA and then drive up the coast with a one stop mid-way and then get rid of the car in SF and then fly to HI

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

hi, Thanks again for the input. The only reason going to LV is because would like to see the Grand Canyon. Not really interested in the night life but to see some of what LV is about would be good.As it would be our first trip to the US we would be more into sight seeing places and things of interest.I know its only a short visit but they are running some deals at the moment Aus to West coast with hawaii ..We plan to come back another time but this year is my 50th so now is a bit special.There problem is there is so much to see, hence the questions.Other than the big tourist sights a road trip through some nice small type towns along the way would be nice.Hope this doesn't confuse you more.thanks

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

Australians tend to enjoy Vegas as we appreciate tacky and OTT, if only ironically. I didn't like Vegas for the first two days, and then it won me over. Like anywhere, it's what you make of it. The trip to the GC helped (er, even though that's not "Vegas"). SF was a little too Melbourne like for me to warm to completely. Still agreat place tho, and Alcatraz a surprising highlight.

As mentioned already buy the other posters, a lot of what to do and how to do it depends on what "you" enjoy more and how "you" like to do things; as well as time restraints, and even direction of travel.

Me ? If I could get a cheap flight from SF to Vegas (with SW airlines), and didn't plan on going via Yosemite, I would definitely fly. But then if it were "me", I'd be going to Yosemite. And did. And rate Yosemite higher than the Grand Canyon (but not by much).

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

Given limited time ,and the first time in the US,what do you think of a 7 night coach tour.LA to SF to LV and back to LA via the Yo national park, and then do our own thing on a road trip to San Diego for a few days before flying to Honolulu.I know its a personal preference but has anyone had a coach tour experience before? Would we see more by flying between major cities and then hiring a car?

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
8. Re: LA,San Francisco Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 21:16