We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
33 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from LA

We just spent 8 days in LA area and we really relied on this site to plan our activities, so I thought I'd give an overview of what we did and how it worked out. If you're planning a trip, I would also recommend the

"Where" magazine. It was at our hotel, but I wished I would have had it before our trip. They have a website, and I would think you can get one sent to you.

Universal VIP tour -- worth the $150 per person. You get personalized treatment -- our guide took our jackets back to the VIP lobby and then retrieved them when we needed them later. The front of the line aspect is great. I don't think that the Studio tour would really be all that great if you don't do the VIP tour.

Jay Leno Show -- sent a ticket request by mail about 8 weeks in advance. Got tickets in the mail. They say to be there by 3:30, but that there are no guarantees for admission. We got there at 2:00 and there were only about 50 people in front of us. But, those people definitely have the premier seats for the show. He was great -- worth the wait in line.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library -- about an hour north of LA. We had to head up that way to see family, so we worked this in. It was fun since we were in the area, but not sure that I'd make a special trip. The only thing that appealed to the kids is the opportunity to go on an actual Air Force One plane.

Warner Bros. VIP Tour -- Very good. Only $35 per person. If you have to choose between Universal and Warner Bros, I'd choose Warner Bros. Now, having said that, Universal is also an amusement park. Warner Bros. is strictly studio tour.

Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade. Had a great day. Ate lunch at the Lobster. Expensive, but worth it. Definitely a fun part of the trip.

La Brea tar pits. Fun to see. Great exhibits.

We had a rental car, so we drove around through a lot of the neighborhoods -- Beverly Hills, the Sunset Strip, Melrose, etc. With a navigation system, I found it very easy to get around.

We stayed at the Hollywood Renaissance. I posted a separate review of that.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from LA

So glad to hear you had a great trip!

I often recommend the Warner's tour - I think it's a better behind the scenes view into Hollywood than Universal.

Chicago
Level Contributor
488 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from LA

Thanks for the review -- I plan to see many of the same things during my trip next month, so this gives me a good start.

A few questions: How long is the WB tour? How long did you wait in line for the Tonight Show? I've requested tickets, but nothing yet. If I get them, I'll guess will get there around 2 - based on what you said.

Thanks again - glad you had fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from LA

Hi,

This post was sooo helpful but since it's a few months old I was wondering if anyone else has been to the Tonight Show more recently? I have tickets for the show on April 25th and want to make sure we get there in enough time to get in and get a good seat. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from LA

Actually, the post is only a few DAYS old, not a few months old... So, the information is very current and accurate.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from LA

DUHHHH!!! Thanks yogachik. Gotta get used to looking at the post date, not the join date!