We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars at lax

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nh
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
rental cars at lax

Can anyone help with rental car advice?? Lax deals or other options. We are flying into LA and then driving to San Diego. Then back to newport beach and LA area before heading back home. Prices seem very high ....???

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars at lax

Have you tried Hotwire.com?

Let alone do they show their prices, they also will search other sites for you.

nh
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars at lax

thanks! I didn't know if car rentals were higher at the airport, and if so, maybe there was another option close by.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars at lax

Some have reported saving money by rneting from an office that is some distance away from the airport. The advantage of doing so is that you avoid having to pay the additional fees that the airport locations charge, e.g. 'tourism fee', etc. But, even though you avoid those fees, the DAILY RATE is usually lower if you rent from an airport location.so, as a result, you don't save anything.

Even if you save a little bit, remember that you'll also need to pay to transfer between the airport and the non-airport car rental location (by taxi, bus, etc) and when you add that to the inconvenience of having to do these transfers, I'm not sure you're getting a good value.

Why did you mention your itinerary? Aren't you planning to simply pick up the car at LAX and return it to LAX? In such a case, it doesn't matter where you're driving to. As far as it being expensive, L.A. is an expensive city, relatively-speaking. But in order for us to make recommendations for you, you'll need to be more specific. What is the BEST PRICE you've found for a car? What model of car was it? What options did you select (including insurance)? What are your travel dates?

Have you considered flying into San Diego and returning home from LAX? Sounds alot easier.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars at lax

Use a travel site like expedia or yahoo travel or orbitz or any any other to compare prices between the car companies. Hertz and Avis will be the most expensive. I always stick with one of the other majors, Enterprise, Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo, Budget..

Even after you make a reservation you should keep checking back as prices flucturate. If rates go down, make a new reservation and cancel the old, there is no penalty. I've done this as much as 3 times with the same company.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars at lax

What are your approx dates and times? Do you have AAA or AARP or any discounts? Costco?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars at lax

Airports have extra fees when it comes to renting a car. The gas tank is always full and the car is always clean, and they do charge for that, even though it's not directly said.

Yes, you could save money by finding a location that is not at the airport. Some of the fees are eliminated, if not all of them. But since airports have a larger fleet, the daily rate is slightly lower on average. So after you factor in the airport fees and taxes, the total may be the same for short term rentals (roughly one week).

Bargaining becomes easier at off-airport locations, since you can see the car lot, and more or less pick and choose what you want to rent, assuming the location isn't already booked with reservations.

It is summer, and everyone is renting cars. The more last-minute you try to make a reservation, the higher the price is. So plan ahead as much as you can.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental cars at lax

Just booked a corolla or similar on the internet from Hertz. 11 days rental prepaid $300 including LDW. Picking up in LAX and dropping off in San Francisco with unlimited mileage...I thought this was very good.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental cars at lax

msnora ~ you are a foreign visitor and qualify for special rates that US residents can't get. That sounds like a terrific deal!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental cars at lax

I've found the best way to get good rental car rates is to look around the Internet for discount codes. These are pretty easy to find, but you have to be sure that you qualify for the ones you plan to use (some of them are corporate codes, for example, and if asked to prove eligibility at check out there could be a problem). I also find that by signing up for email offers from the agencies directly I often get good deals. The other thing I always do is recheck my reservation in the weeks and days leading up to the rental. They often, but not always, go down pretty close to the actual date.

Having said the above, using Priceline or Hotwire can usually get you beter deals, but I don't prepay non refundable car rentals so don't ever consider that.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental cars at lax

In my experience, with rare exception, neither Priceline nor Hotwire offer the best rates, at least not from LAX. Though I haven't rented from LAX for almost 2 years now I used to rent there at least once a year for the past 30 years. There's a good chance that they can beat Hertz or Avis, but that's not saying much as they are so expensive to begin with