We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Griffith Park....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Topic
Question about Griffith Park....

Visiting Park for first time, from NY, with wife and 2 boys -6 & 8.

Seems the park has a lot to offer. Maybe too much. What is recommended or must do in the park? Are there different parking lots all around the park? Any transportation within the park? Or do you have to pick up car and travel to other side? Please share other tips.....thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,409 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Griffith Park....

Your questions, my answers...

What is recommended or must do in the park? I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF 'MUST DOS'. It really depends on what you and the boys like. Look over the descriptions of the attractions (by clicking on the name of each attraction in the list below) and decide:

laparks.org/dos/…attractions.htm

Are there different parking lots all around the park? YES

Any transportation within the park? NOT REALLY. There is a bus that goes to both the Autry Museum and the Zoo but those 2 attractions are about a 5-minute walk apart (and they both have parking areas).

Or do you have to pick up car and travel to other side? YES.

Keep in mind that the Park itself is an attraction with many, many hiking trails (most of which are easy or moderate in difficulty) and picnic areas. Feel free to bring a picnic lunch and use a picnic table or spread out on the grass somewhere. It's time to RELAX! It's your vacation.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Griffith Park....

The park is very large. Moreover, it has very distinct areas which aren't conveniently connected. There is no central Griffith Park experience. You don't park in a single location and enter the park and experience it like Disneyland. You have to plan ahead and decide which part appeals.

In the north-east section, there is the Zoo and Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage. Along the eastern edge there are extensive picnic areas which many ammenities (e.g. mini train). In the southern area via Vermont, there is a concert venue, which is busy in the summer. There is a golf course and tennis courts. The famous Griffith Observatory is accessed from the southern entrances. The Fern Dell is a pleasant and gentle park area whish is accessed via the Western/Los Feliz entrance. This is nice in the springtime. All of these venues lie along the edges of the park. The bulk of the park and interior is criss-crossed by hiking trails. You may note roads apparently bisecting the park. Don't be deceived. These were closed decades ago.

Given the ages of your children. I'd say just focus on the Griffith Observatory. If you are inclined for some hiking, one option is to park at or near the Fern Dell and hike up to the Observatory. Up being the operative word. Another option for hiking is from the Observatory up to the top of Mount Hollywood.

Otherwise, drive up to the Observatory. There's a nifty planetarium, if you're interested. At minimum, check out the views from the top of the Observatory are iconic and world-famous. Dusk is the best time as the city lights up. I prefer to approach the Observatory via the Los Feliz/Western entrance. The views are great. Park on the side of the road. Parking at the top is tiny and you're unlikely to find a spot.

HTH

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Griffith Park....

Travel Town is lots of fun. When I was your kid's age I loved to go there and climb into and around the trains.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Griffith Park....

Thanks Hitch for the details. Very helpful.

5. Re: Question about Griffith Park....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:16