We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just some questions for my trip please

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Just some questions for my trip please

Hey im travelling to LA in october i cant wait,its a dream come true

i was just looking for a few pieces of advice,i have about 10 internet tabs on at the same time trying to research different subjects and im confusing myself skipping between pages haha,so thought maybe if i ask a few things on the same page

first off

me and my brother are going for 10 nights,staying at the radisson near LAX , we are probably going to spend each day visiting different areas of LA ,including a two day trip to Las Vegas

we are most likely to spend some days sightseeing and some days chilling on the beach,we will probably eat at cheap cafes and diners and now and again go to a restaurant once or twice as a treat,maybe now and again go drinking in hollywood at nighttime

so if i budgeted $200 per day , would that be enough?? to compensate for one day doing lots of sightseeing and eating and for other days just lazing on the beach and eating at cheap places and maybe a night or two having a few drinks? a lot of people have said LA is very expensive,so even if i did lots in one day would $200 go far?

ill probably use public transport as much as possible so maybe including an expensive taxi or so thrown in

also

we are thinking abour hiring a car(a ford mustang,my brother has always dreamed of driving one through america) could we say rent one out in los angeles and leave it with the same companies department in las vegas? and probably fly back to LA

also we are quite musical , if i have any money left over i might have a look for a new guitar,is there any recommended intsrument shops or second hand places to keep an eye out for?? i dont want to go into a big chain store like guitar centre or whatever , any place that you could goto and find a bargain , doesnt matter which area or city ,

or any recommended, like a thrift store type place,cheap or second hand clothes shop near venice beach area? i dress quite rock styled and i would mind finding some new rags

if i could be helped on any of these matters i will be very grateful it wil be one less thing to think about

thank you!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,439 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

Well, you might have to open a few more tabs! Just google thrift stores in Venice and also look at West LA, Santa Monica and Culver City (all nearby).

But, really, the first thing you should do is change the location of your hotel. It is terrible! October is not high season; there should be some good rates to be found in Hollywood or downtown LA (look at Hotels on the left side of this page). The airport area will be a huge waste of your time because nothing you want to do is there. That means waiting and waiting and waiting for a bus.

For the amount of time you will be here, I strongly suggest you find a hotel with kitchen or a condo. It will save you a lot of money if you can cook breakfast and lunch (okay, and a few dinners) in.

Plenty of cheap food to be had. Use yelp.com for the specific neighborhood you are in. Mexican food is plentiful and can be quite inexpensive. Korean and Chinese food can be, too. And buying and cooking your own groceries is always the least expensive.

October is usually very nice at the beach, but there are no guarantees. I would play it by ear once you are here: on a nice, warm, sunny day go to the beach instead of, say, Hollywood for sightseeing. Just be flexible.

On a tight budget, you should forget the Mustang convertible. In fact, for the money, you could probably fly to LV (Southwest Airlines is a good choice) and back and forget the car. The drive is not terribly exciting; better to spend your time at the destination rather than driving to it.

I'm not sure this helped, but good luck planning. Have a great time.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

Please tell me that you can cancel the Radisson at LAX. Staying there is like staying near Heathrow but with no rail or tube service. It will take FOREVER to get anywhere from the Radisson and taxis are expensive

L.A., like London, is extremely spread out but understand the differences:

1. We have 2 rail stations in our entire city.

2. We have really only one tube / metro rail line that goes to popular tourist destinations.

3. The rest of the public transit is via bus. LAX has a bus plaza adjacent to it near the corner of 96th Street and Vicksburg Avenue (a 2 minute walk from your hotel) but transferring to most popular neighborhoods using the metro buses will take a long time. Here are some examples:

1. To Santa Monica (beach): about 40 minutes via the Santa Monica Rapid 3. The bus runs every 15 minutes but it stops running at about 8 pm so if you plan to spend an evening at the beach, there is limited evening service and the return stop near LAX is further from your hotel than the bus plaza where catch the bus during the day.

2. To Hollywood: (via 2 buses in succession or you can ride your hotel's shuttle to LAX and then take the Flyaway express coach to downtown L.A. and then the red line to Hollywood). In either case, the transfer takes 3-1/2 to 4 hours return and the ride is not interesting or pretty. Remember: you'll have to wait for the hotel shuttle to pull up and then, when you reach the airport you'll need to wait for the flyaway bus which could then, stop at up to 8 other terminals picking up passengers. (You could waste 15 or 20 minutes just riding around the airport!).

3. Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive: About 3 hours return.

Your $200 per day budget is doable but I would move to a hotel that is more centrally-located (or split your holiday in 2 and stay in two different places so that you can get around more easily).

You'll have trouble finding a Mustang to drop off in Vegas. Besides, the best place to drive a mustang is in L.A., including a drive along the Coastline. I would hire a car for a day and make that drive followed by a drive through Beverly Hills, the Sunset Strip and into Hollywood.

I know Hertz has Mustangs and their office at the Loews Hotel in Hollywood can arrange to get one for you. Just call the local phone number for them.

What are your travel dates?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,783 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

Change your hotel!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,783 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

i highly recommend changing to Sea Shore Motel in Santa Monica or the Sea View Hotel!

For cheap food and drinks, there are Happy Hours at just about every bar and restaurant in LA. Santa Monica has happy hour everywhere, here's a list. Also, some restaurants have Happy Hour all night, like Michael's and Chaya Venice - these are the best deals in town, top restaurants with super cheap food and drinks in the bar all night long.

For vintage clothes, Venice has a ton of shops, as does Santa Monica. But first, change your hotel and we can give better advice.

Jersey, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

yeah my brother booked the hotel with fhe flights with british airways it doesnt look in a good position at all

yeah the tips have helped greatly thanks everyone!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,783 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

Since you can't change your hotel, you'll want a car. Venice and Santa Monica are nearby, as is Hermosa and Redondo Beach. Take a quick cab to these areas, and go to the Happy Hours I mentioned for dinner.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

See if you can change the hotel. I imagine that BA will allow that. It's worth it even if you have to pay a fee.

los angeles
Level Contributor
759 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

Sam Ash Music - although it's a chain, they sell used instruments. I almost bought a used (almost brand new) Ibanez acoustic guitar the other day for just a little over $200 at their Ontario Mills store.

They have couple of stores in L.A.-Hollywood area.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

If you can't change you hotel you will definitely need to hire a car. I have stayed at that Radisson, and IF you have a car it's not that bad to get around. I stayed there when my daughter was living in Beverly Hills, and I don't remember it taking that long to get to her place. There's not a whole lot in that area, but with a car you will be able to get to where you want to go. I second the recommendation to fly to Vegas and back. Driving through the desert? Ugh!

Jersey, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just some questions for my trip please

ah you guys are brilliant,thank you