We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
303 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Hi folks!

I have an INTERNATIONAL flight scheduled to arrive at LAX 7:30PM on Sep 06 (Thursday). How much time do you think I'll spend to get to Staples Center? Immigration + Renting a car + Driving to Staples. I intend to rush!!!

VMA party is scheduled to begin at 8PM and I know I won't be there at this time... If the ticket is "WILL CALL" will the Box Office still be open after the event start?

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Allow 2 hours to get through Immigration and customs. Then the rental car, then the drive.

You'd be lucky to be there before 10pm. Very lucky.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
303 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Wow! 2h for immigration/customs? Never waited so long in USA!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Its true. You will need at least 2 hours to get through immigration/customs, then get the car rentle shuttle, rent the car and drive to Staples. I'd think 2 hour minimum.

Edited: 30 July 2012, 21:23
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
303 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

The good news is that I analyzed the flights expected to arrive at LAX from 18:30 to 20:00 (my flight arrives at 19:30) and there is only one international flight arriving before my flight!

Flights from 18:30 to 20:00 arriving at Terminal 2 LAX:

18:41 - Air Canada - Terminal 2 - Toronto (No immigration)

19:03 - Westjet - Terminal 2 - Vancouver (No immigration)

19:15 - Virgin - Terminal 2 - London - max311pax

19:30 - TACA - Terminal 2 - San Salvador - max200pax

19:45 - Air N Zlnd - Terminal 2 - London - max304pax

Also analyzing the last 30 days TACA flight only delayed one time. On the other 29 days it arrived before the scheduled timed. Average arrival time is 19:07!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,093 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

You'll also need time to park your car and walk to Staples. Close by parking will, no doubt, be sold out by the time you arrive and, if it isn't, it will be expensive.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
303 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Yes you are right! But I think parking won't be a problem because I intend to atay at a hotel near Staples.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Take a cab

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

I arrived Into LAX on the Virgin Atlantic flight from London on Monday 11 June. I had to pick up a rental car from Dollar and I didn't arrive at my hotel near Universal until almost 10pm.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
462 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Sky, can you let us know if you are pleased with Dollar car?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Immigration/driving time from LAX to Staples Center 7:30PM

Anakha

Just a little background on my rental, I rented from LAX and return it at LAS (Las Vegas). It was for 11 days all inclusive rental with a tank of fuel on a standard size car.

I have heard many horror stories on Dollar at LAX where agents trying to upsale on unnecessary upgrades, insurance and breakdown cover.

So I decided to join Dollar Express which you can apply free online to bypass any rental desk agents. Of course you will need to pass on your Dollar Express membership number to either Dollar or your third party rental agent.

Now that I'm a Dollar Express member, I got off the shuttle bus and went straight to the rental garage (note bypassing all agents). There was a lady in the garage and she already had all my details and pointed me to a Chervolet Impala. All my rental documents were already in the car and I can just literally drive off there and then. But I wasn't a fan of the Impala and the lady told me to grab my rental documents in the car and pick any other car from this row. In the end I picked a Nissan Altima.

The cars available at LAX were all very new. I returned the car in Las Vegas airport with no questions asked and a print out slip of my return with $0 costs due.

So overall I was very happy with Dollar on this particular instance. If you want to avoid any Dollar rental agents trying to upsale you then seriously consider joining Dollar Express first.