We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing on Carnival Pride out of Long Beach 2/07- where to...

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
172 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing on Carnival Pride out of Long Beach 2/07- where to...

I just booked the Carnival pride sailing on 2/18/07 out of Long Beach. I will be flying in to LAX two days before ( Friday)- with my DH and two teenaged kids. I am looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to do. Moderate hotel- not too expensive but nice- not too basic either- we will probably rent a car- we are NOT interested in amusement parks- we have been to all the theme parks in Florida so many times. We like ACTIVE activities- we also will be staying one day after the cruise- thats how it worked out with my frequent flyer tickets.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,732 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing on Carnival Pride out of Long Beach 2/07- where to...

You have lots of options.

I would definitely recommend renting a car beacause Long Beach is about an hour from downtown Los Angeles by subway (which is the closest "tourist neighborhood") to Long Beach. In addition, the cost of an airport shuttle is $15 per person (=$30) which is about the cost of a car so why not have the comfort and convenience of a car?

L.A. is a giant city, very spread out (not, unlike Long Island in many respects but less water). You could focus on Long Beach exclusively either before you voyage or, especially, afterward. Check out visitlongbeach.com for things to do in Long Beach and an excellent map of the downtown area that will show you, among other things, the cruise port and the location of the popular hotels.

You can get a hotel ranking/review by typing in "Long Beach" in the search field in the upper left corner of this window. Be sure to select "Long Beach, CALIFORNIA" from the screen that follows. Scroll down on the subsequent page and select "VIEW ALL LONG BEACH HOTELS" (they are ranked in order of declining ranking).

Also, check out our FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS topic at the top of the LOS ANGELES FORUM topic list.

Here's a quick link:

http://tinyurl.com/p8fgg

This iwill give you ideas for your itinerary in Los Angeles (not Long Beach!)

Hope this is helpful. Post a new topic if you have any further questions.

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing on Carnival Pride out of Long Beach 2/07- where to...

Hi jled,

HopSkipJump has some good advice. If you want to stay at a hotel in Long Beach the Coast Long Beach Hotel very close to the Carnival Cruise area, practically outside the door. The hotel has gotten pretty good review here on this site so it might be worth checking out. You might want to visit the Aquarium of the Pacific which is just a short free shuttle bus ride away from the Carnival area.

If you want to go up to LA it would be about an hour ride by light rail, as HopSkipJump said previously. I've taken the journey quite a few times and it takes at least an hour to get to the Hollywood/Highland subway stop which is where Grauman's Chinese Theater is located.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing on Carnival Pride out of Long Beach 2/07- where to...

You will also find a wealth of info on this exact topic at cruisecritic.com. Enjoy your cruise, I sure did.