We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping - quick question

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping - quick question

Hello,

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but I have a quicke question on tipping. I've booked a limo transfer from LAX to our hotel and the reservation lady told me gratuity is already included. I would still tip the driver personally, but I just wanted to check if that's right? And how much would be ok to tip without going crazy aqnd giving too much if they are getting the gratuity?

Thanks!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping - quick question

The tip is already included. No need to tip an additional amount but that is your choice.

One thing which I do is to actually tell the driver that you understand the tip has already been paid.....just in case this is actually not happening.

Dr. Z

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping - quick question

You've already tipped, now you want to tip again? I don't understand this concept.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,074 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping - quick question

You're tip is included. An additional tip is not expected and is not customary UNLESS the driver does something COMPLETELY EXTRAORDINARY like take you on a 'mini tour' of Los Angeles or provides INVALUABLE info or arranges other services for you. But again, this has to be something VERY SPECIAL. It's not appropriate if he/she simply says: "the best place to get pizza in L.A. is at Johnny's Pizza on 3rd St (this isn't a real pizza place -- just an example!)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping - quick question

"You've already tipped, now you want to tip again? I don't understand this concept."

On the Yucatan board there was recently a similar thread - someone said they are going to be staying at an AI resort, and the confirmation for the reservation, it says that gratuity is included. The general concensus on that board was that people should still tip the staff. The reason was that the "included gratuity" doesn't make it's way down to the staff.

Of couse this is LA, not the Yucatan, but I can't blame the OP for asking since tipping customs vary so widely from place to place.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping - quick question

Thanks this answered my question.! I will only give extra if the driver does something super special!

"You've already tipped, now you want to tip again? I don't understand this concept." - If I went to a restaurant here in the UK with the gratuity added I would still tip the waiter/waitress so they definitely see some of the cash. I just wanted to check how it works with limo's as never used one before.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping - quick question

That was why I wrote what I did......

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping - quick question

If you have a lot of luggage I would be inclined to give the driver a dollar or two per bag handles.

8. Re: Tipping - quick question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:15