We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

My agent has booked the following (y class) for me

06Jan AKL MEL QF132 0700 0910

06 Jan MEL LAX QF93 1120 0645

06 Jan LAX MCO UA261 0845 1628

Ihave a separate PNR each for UA & QF.

I am concerned that although a valid connection I will miss the flight to Orlando.

I have been told that Qantas have a orange card/ transit system and I won't have any trouble!

If I miss the connection will UA honor my ticket and put me on the next flight? There are other flights but not direct as the one I have booked.

Will QF issue the UA boarding pass or can I do an online checkin?

Sorry for the questions but am having a panic - thanks for any help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

You have a solid 2 hours it should be plenty of time as long as your flight leaving melb is on time, if you have travel insurance you will be covered for costs incase you miss the flight and cant fly that day for some reason.

If you booked the entire flight through QF they should be able to check you in the whole way through but if its booked seperate they wont

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

If I understand you correctly, you have 2 separate reservations for each leg of your trip with separate record locator (confirmation #s) for each leg. Is that correct? If so, UA will have no obligation to put you on a later flight should you miss the connection.

As far as the likelihood of making the connection, it's 50/50 (maybe 40/60). Your international flight will utilize a large plane. It can take 15 or 20 minutes just to get off the plane! Then you'll need to walk to (and pass through) immigration, baggage claim and customs. I would estimate it taking 75 to 90 minutes for all of this. This will give you between 30 and 45 minutes to make the connection but you'll have to transfer to the onward terminal, go through security there and maybe take your luggage with you. With a 30-minute window, you won't make it. With 45 minutes, you've got a 50-50 chance. Are you feeling lucky?

Why not stay overnight in L.A.? (You will have flown, what?, 18 hours, crossing 6 times zones by the time you reach LAX. Do you really want to take another 5 hour flight across 3 more time zones?)

I do not believe travel insurance would cover you if you missed the connection (if the flights are booked separately).

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

Thank you for your help. Flights are all on 1 eticket - one fare AKL - MCO, there is a reservation ID for the whole booking then a separate confirmation number for each airline.

This was booked thru Flight Centre Travel Agency, so not sure if the reservation number refers to the Travel Agency records or the reservation system it is booked thru?

Flight is actually for my daughter (20yrs) going one way to join an International College Programme at Disneyworld, so she just wants to get there and check in. Not comfortable with an overnight stopover on her own.

Can she do an online checkin for united 24 hours prior? - would this help with the connection?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

Did you contact your travel agent and what did they say ?

Quantas and United are not connected by an interline agreement and as you said there are separate PNRs. United has no obligation to honor a missed flight but chances are that they will. Checking in 24 hours is advised but that does not help with the connection.

You daughter as HSJ said, will have to take her luggage and switch terminals and go through the whole process again.

I would get a longer layover and go on a different flight even if it is not non-stop. That would make it less worrisome for her.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

Here's the problem....

If she misses the connection, she's not going to be able to just 'hop on the next United flight to MCO" for a number of reasons:

a. United only has 2 nonstops between LAX and MCO on that day: the 8:45 departure and a 22:35 departure.

b. If she's willing to take a 1-stop (ugh), the next flight after the 8:45 is a 9:25 departure to Houston, TX with a 53 minute layover (and change of planes in Houston) arriving at MCO at 7:05 pm (only a little bit more than 2 hours later than her current non-stop). But the LAX-Houston leg is a popular one with United (their hub is in Houston) so it's possible that that flight will be sold out (and if it isn't the connecting flight to MCO might be). If EITHER one is sold out that means further delays with arrival times in Orlando of 9 pm, 10 pm, even midnight.

If it were my daughter, I'd have her layover in L.A. and take the Virgin Aneruca departure on Monday at 8 a.m. or the American Airlines departure at 8:25 or US Airways at 8:45 or United at 8:45. All of these are non-stops.

If you decide on a layover near LAX, I'll recommend the Custom Hotel. This is a medium-sized 'boutique style' hotel run by the Joie de Vivre hotel chain (google them). It's on the north side of the airport in a residential neighborhood within easy walking distance (2 minutes) of shops and restaurants in a SAFE neighborhood. The hotel offers free shuttle to/from the airport. Info is here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d656235-…

During her brief stay, it's an easy bus ride to area beach communities where she can relax.

Good luck!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

With everything purchsed together, I see the potential for some hassle but no great disaster. I'd still want a longer layover (switching terminals, I assume). Shoud you miss your connection, UA would normally put you on the next flight to MCO with available seats. This may not be the very next flight, and it appears UA has perhaps just one non-stop to MCO per day, so if you miss that you'd have to make a connection.

Interline agreements and code share ágreements aren't the same. I think United will get you to MCO. You should be able to, after going through Immigration, getting your bags and going through Customs (usually just a matter of handing over a form you filled out on board and which the Immigration officer initialed, but you could get pulled aside for more inspection, even at random), hand your checked bags over to a transit desk (assuming they're tagged for MCO). If you have any doubts, contact United directly.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 19:23
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

p.s. the flights are already booked, in which case you couldn't change things, even if you wanted to, unless you paid a big fee?

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

There really isn't a definitive answer to your question. However the Melb - LA flight seems to be really unreliable and regularly delayed out of Melbourne. I fly Melb - LA - NYC each year and now have a stop over in LA as I never get my connecting flight.

If I have to go through to NYC on the same day I fly out of Sydney as it is the same plane you arrive in LA on and so you can't miss it. Otherwise they put you on an AA flight, due to their code share and the fact I am on a QF ticket.

I don't think 2 hours is nearly enough. Last trip the flight was delayed almost 3 hours out of Melbourne and then took me close to 2 hours to clear customs and immigration. Granted this is the worse I have experienced, but even whizzing through these, you still need to get to the next terminal and check in and go through security checks again. It is all unbelievably time consuming with big queues at every point. Can be SOOOO stressful.

I am surprised they didn't book you on an AA flight due to the fact you are on QF for 2 legs and the fact they are both in the one world alliance. I personally would talk to Flight Centre and see what they say will happen if you miss the connection. UA isn't part of the alliance and personally I don't think they would honour the ticket, but that's just my opinion.

"I have been told that Qantas have a orange card/ transit system and I won't have any trouble!"

I have been flying with QF for way longer than I care to admit and have never heard of this and there isn't mention on their website that I sould see. Sorry but I wouldn't give it much credibility.

Hate to be so negative but I do think you need to modify the booking. Good luck.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,243 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

The LAX portion is going to present a huge problem. Two hours are not necessarily enough to clear immigration and customs, and then proceed to your UA flight. I would rate the chances at under 50%.

Since she is arriving into LAX so early, I don't see a point in stopping over for the night (which usually costs additional money due to a different fare basis).

If the fare is booked already, I suggest you check with the agent, pay the fare difference and move her to a later flight that gives her at least 3 to 4 hours for the formalities at LAX.

10. Re: Connecting time in LAX international to domestic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 05:16