We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX or elsewhere

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
LAX or elsewhere

My partner and I will be flying into LAX from Sydney which is about a 13 hr trip arriving into LAX around 9am on a Saturday morning. We were thinking about booking a LAX hotel for our arrival to get our bearings,rest etc before we ventured to the more touristy areas. Would you recommend doing this or is it worthwhile to just travel directly to our destination which is proberbly going to be near Universal Studios. Whats the traffic like this time of the morning? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX or elsewhere

I've done this flight a few times. Just go straight to your hotel near universal. Get a cab if you plan to hire a car and are worried about jetlag and driving.

There is nothing worse than being really really tired the following morning and having to pack up and check out at a certain time, then fill in a few horus before you can check into your new hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX or elsewhere

Oh and in my opinion, I think it's worth paying for an extra night - the night before you arrive - so you can go straight to your room rather than having to wait until 3:00 or 4:00pm to check-in. If you do go this way - make sure you advise the hotel you are doing this as they may give your room away if you don't turn up the night before.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,220 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX or elsewhere

Definitely go straight to your hotel, but rethink staying near Universal. If on a budget, look in Hollywood (which is one metro stop away from Universal).

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,295 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX or elsewhere

9:00 am rush hour traffic will be winding down, so it will be a relatively easy trip. I would not stay near the airport. Not much to do, kind of yucky area. Just go to your hotel and enjoy your stay!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX or elsewhere

I would get a shuttle to your hotel .. and would also agree to stay in Hollywood. The hotel will look after your luggage when you arrive if your room isn't ready ..

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Highland Avenue and loved it. The hotel isn't that old, and their rooms are quite large, they have a smallish pool, and a hot buffet breakfast which was really nice and replinished regularly.

It's walking distance to the corner of Hollywood Blvd and Highland Avenue, which on that corner is a metro station, which is one stop from Universal Studios ... and also on that corner is the Hollywood and Highland Center ... the Dolby Theatre is there and you can have a tour ... it used to be called the Kodak Theater .. where the Oscars are held.

Along Hollywood Blvd you will find the stars names in the sidewalks, the feet/hand of stars in cement in the front of Graumans Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Wax Museum, Madam Taussauds .. and much more. Starline Tours leave from the chinese theatre, which is handy if you want a tour or two. And there's heaps of restaurants and shops.

Other popular hotels in the area to have a look at include the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, the Magic Castle and Orchid Sites ... all walking distance to what Hollywood has to offer.

Here's a couple of websites for you to peruse.

http://www.supershuttle.com/

http://www.hollywoodholidayinnexpress.com/

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/

http://www.starlinetours.com/

If you're getting the red eye out of Perth or the 6am flight to connect with your flight out of Sydney, you're certainly going to be stuffed when you get there ... so I would suggest a walk around Hollywood to get your bearings, then return to the hotel around 3pm, have a nice hot shower and go to bed ... you will sleep heaps. I once slept till 12.40pm .. the maid woke me up asking "if I was getting out of bed today?" Jetlag always hits me worse flying east.

Edited: 05 September 2012, 05:47
Perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX or elsewhere

Thanks for your reply.We go direct tand I agree paying the extra to enable booking in early.

Perth
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX or elsewhere

Thanks for the links eaglemaniac the Orchid Suites have favourable reviews and the location seems to be the key. Im intending on going to a Lakers game on christmas day. From Hollywood what would be the best way to get there? Taxi?? Its funny because my partner and I have done a bit of travelling but where the US is concerned we're certainly starting fron scratch..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX or elsewhere

The Hollywood/Highland station is on the Metro red line .. so you can get the train to the Staples Center ... and the stop is the one after Westlake/McArthur Park... and is called 7th Street/Metro Center .. and you can get it back after the game... just need to walk a few blokes, or if its anything like the MCG, just follow the crowds!

Here's the link for the timetable...

metro.net/riding_metro/…802.pdf

9. Re: LAX or elsewhere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 10:18