We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

Carlisle, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

Hi, my fiance and I are getting married in May 2013 and are looking at a trip to America.

We would like to do LA and Las Vegas and can't decide on a third place... maybe Idiana because I spent 4 months there when I was 19, or San Fran??

If anyone has any ideas or recomends any sites that can put a package of hotels and flights together it would be so much help!

Our budget isn't huge but we don't mind spending a bit more to stay in some nice places

We live in the north of the UK so will probably fly from Manchester...

Thanks!x

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

How do you plan to get around? What are your interests? Your budget isn't "huge," but that is it? You want a Web site to organized your flights, hotels and transportation? You could look at sites like Expedia for hotels and flights, but why not deal with a travel agency at home, even if they charge a fee, so you deal with someone locally, someone you can talk with and whom you can definitely contact in person if there are any problems? Oh, and get a guide book.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,986 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

I would add San Francisco, perhaps a coast drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco (which takes a few days, including overnights at the coastal towns).

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,442 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

I would fly into San Francisco for a few days then to Hawaii!!!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

Do NOT deal with a travel agent in the UK or wherever you are. We have horror stories of foreign travel agents who do not know the US putting people in impossible itineraries and bad hotels.

Since Indiana is so far away from California, it is not realistic to include it in your honeymoon trip.

If you need a third place, I would include San Francisco, but how much time do you have for the trip? That will be a definite factor.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

If you feel nostalgic for Indiana, I would suggest saving it for another trip. As Puter says, it's too far away to make it work well as part of this trip. Maybe for one of your special anniversaries, come back and see some of the eastern U.S. You could go to Chicago, and it would be feasible to fly to Niagara Falls or Toronto, Canada, if those places interest you. Niagara Falls is about same distance from Indianapolis as San Diego to San Francisco, and it would save time to fly.

For this trip, since you have two major urban areas on your wish list, why not consider a national park or other less urbanized area? For the area you'll be in, the most convenient major park (i.e. those with lots of variety and things to see) would be Joshua Tree, Death Valley, and Grand Canyon.

If you want to visit San Francisco, locals would suggest driving up the coast and stopping over a couple of nights to make it leisurely and see more. And then you'd want to spend maybe 3 days in San Francisco. If this won't fit your time frame or budget, you could see Joshua Tree between Los Angeles and Las Vegas (stop over at one of several nearby towns; the park has no lodging). Either Grand Canyon or Death Valley could be an overnight trip out of Las Vegas (they both have in-park hotels, which would be advisable so you could have a genuine park experience and make the most of your time).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

#4: who do you mean by "we," and do you mean alll foreign agents, and do you not hear horror stories from individuals who don't know what they're doing? I have no connecion with any travel agency but wouldn't give a blanket "don't use a travel agent, just use advice from anonymous strangers" advice. OP definitely should do research on their own, but an agency can help in making reservations, etc.

So Cal
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

Completely agree that adding a national park is a great idea. I would add Zion NP to the list to consider. It's only about three hours from Vegas, you can see a lot in a few days, and there are some nicer lodging & dining options (might be a consideration as it's your honeymoon) as well as budget fare.

8. Re: Honeymood in USA - La, Las Vegas and One More...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 10:15