We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cali is so confusing to me...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cali is so confusing to me...

We are planning a trip to Cali just after Christmas. We are wanting to go to Universal Studios as a start and then plan from there.

What I am confused about is what airport to fly to from Texas. Which is actually closer to our desired destination than another? I am not even certain what city to research hotels in. I look at sites and type in Los Angeles, but then it comes up in Hollywood, or Universal City, or Burbank or Buena Park. Yes, I have googled a map, but it's not really much help at this point.

Is there a site to go to that I can look at hotels that are near Universal Studios and "City Walk"...I think that is what it is called. (What is "City Walk"?? is it a name for an area near Universal Studios or is it an actual town name?) Or better yet, can anyone here suggest hotels in that area? We'd like to stay away from renting a car and use taxi's or other public transportation. We will probably do the typical touristy stuff.

Are there people who we can hire that can take us privately on tour? I do that a lot when we vacation in Mexico. We hire a driver for the day and they take us everywhere. I know there are tour companies who will do that, but I am wondering about individuals.

I am just beginning my search, so I am sure there will be some great ideas thrown at me from TripAdvisor.

I appreciate all your help and wisdom!

Thanks!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

Dear Girl,

I thought Cali was in Texas! Never mind. We call it California here.

You can fly from San Antonio to Burbank (BUR) on Southwest Airlines, with one plane change.

The L.A. Area is a vast conglomeration of many cities, that is why you are having trouble.

"City Walk" is a mall complex where you can eat, be entertained, shop, and stay.

See www.citywalkhollywood.com/visitorinfo.html

I think you should go up to the right hand corner of this page and start reading The Top Questions About LA. Then come back here for your more specific questions about hotels in an area or two. You can check out hotels reviews on Trip Advisor, too. They are unbelievably useful.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 22:15
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,124 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

I agree with the above. The fine folks from LA can help you if you are more specific about what you want to do and see instead of just Universal and then taking it from there..

You said you used google maps. Ok here it is is with the hotels around Universal only IF you want to stay there

http://goo.gl/maps/ZsqAk

I hope you realize that you are visiting the state of California which is also part of the US just like Texas is. This is not Baja California. In CA just as in Texas, you can book a Limo and it includes a driver and the Limo can take you around the city for as long as you like and are willing to pay . If you are looking for Limo recommendations, please check out www.yelp.com and search for Limo Companies in Los Angeles.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,664 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

Cali is just fine..... I travel all over the country and a lot of people call it that.

If you can, fly into Burbank (BUR), it is much better than LAX.

Universal City is on the hill that separates Burbank from Hollywood so either city is fine, but if you want to use public transportation the Hollywood & Highland area is your best bet. The nice hotels there are the Loew's, Roosevelt, W Hollywood and Redbury.

The budget hotels are the Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn and Magic Castle Suites.

4. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 15:05
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

Cali always reminds me of LL Kool J "Goin' Back To Cali" I agree with all said. Burbank is MUCH easier to deal with than LAX. Hollywood would be probably your best area to look for hotels.

6. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

7. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

8. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

We haven't heard a peep out of Ahnold lately, have we? Just as well....

Dear GirlFromTexas, I'm curious why you wouldn't want to rent a car for Los Angeles. Taxis are not easy to find, and distances between sights and sites can be very long, thus expensive. Granted, some of the places in L.A. Metro Area can be done without a car, but on the whole, it's a car kind of place --

10. Re: Cali is so confusing to me...

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 15:06