We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

usa
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

Hi,

If I want to stay near LAX airport, which hotels are in a better/safer area?

The ones on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

I notice some very close to the airport - are these in a better area?

No big plans but would want to walk a little from the hotel if possible to catch a bus, so would pefere a safer area.

Thanks

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,698 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

I would say on or near Century, nearer to the airport, not the 405 Freeway.

Look at the Four Points, LAX Marriott, Renaissance Hotel and Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo.

If you plan on more than one night just coming or going, don't do it. The LAX area is a miserable place to stay other than for a night.

Edited: 17 September 2012, 20:37
usa
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

scottca075 - thanks for the information! When you mean "miserable" place - are you referring to it being unsafe?

Yes, I will be there only for 1 night

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

Let's set the record straight. Los Angeles is a safe place to visit. Millions of people live here and we have one of the LOWEST crime rates per capita of any major city.

Yes, as in any city, there are 'bad areas' but none of the POPULAR TOURIST AREAS are 'bad areas' and it would be virtually impossible to wander into one of the BAD AREAS without having plenty of notice (you know what a bad neighborhood looks like so you wouldn't go there).

That said, if you plan to visit L.A., it's best to become acquainted with it. Our city is IMMENSE and the metro area is even larger. Learn about the hundreds of attractions that are available, decide upon an itinerary and THEN decide on the neighborhood in which you'll stay. Most attraction are spread apart from one another. You can't simply jump on a bus adjacent to your hotel and have a look around.

Start with our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of the page. If you're using a smart phone or tablet, you'll need to scroll down to the bottom of the tripadvisor.com home page and click 'full site' to see this content.

So.Cal
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

By 'miserable area', I think what 'scottca075' means is that there's just nothing worth seeing - just hotels, parking lots, car rental agencies, a few small and rather dingy strip malls, with lots of noise and traffic fumes. It's not unsafe, any more than any similar city neighborhood, just not a very attractive area for walking. Airport Blvd. and Century Blvd are pretty much the same 'neighborhood'.

usa
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

HopSkipJump - thanks for your note - yes, I have been to LA before - a long time back. I understand what you mention. I was just trying to figure out the area near LAX since I will be in LA only for 1 day this time around.

Kartgv - thanks for your response. I will pick 1 of the hotels on W Century Blvd I think

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

Look at hotwire. They often have a mystery 4 star hotel in the LAX area at a discount. You really can't go wrong. All the major hotels in that area are fairly alike.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,698 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

Yes, what Kartgv said about miserable, but I would never get a hotel blind near LAX because there are bad/dangerous areas especially on the other side of the 405.

I'd price out the ones I mentioned, starting with the Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo where there are marginally more interesting places to walk to and then the Four Points, LAX Marriott, Renaissance Hotel, Crown Plaza and Embassy Suites.

I wouldn't book a room east of Aviation Blvd (except maybe the Westin because it is so nice).

http://goo.gl/maps/tMN6U

Edited: 18 September 2012, 00:10
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

Margoo, thanks for getting back. I'm with Scott. If you must stay near LAX, stay in the city of El Segundo (on the southern edge of the airport). All hotels have free shuttles and the neighborhood is much nicer (less concrete, steel and glass) and more grass, local shopping, etc.

Or, consider staying in an L.A. neighborhood that's easy to reach by public transit, e.g. Westwood (via the Westwood Flyaway (express) Bus -- $10, bus runs hourly from LAX). Westwood is in the middle of the westside, has plenty of local places to eat and great public transit to Santa Monica (westbound, 20 minutes), Beverly HIlls (eastbound, 8 minutes), etc.

An inexpensive option in Westwood is the Best Western Royal Palace (not the Royal Palace Westwood, which is a different hotel). Probably costs more than La Quinta at the airport but there's no comparison.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

Mangoo,

Stay on one of the Century Blvd. Hotels just east of LAX. For $5 you can take the Ocean Express Trolley to Manhattan Beach, a few miles south, and they will let you out at the base of the Pier. They also go on the MB Village Mall, and Plaza El Segundo for quick pick ups on the return to the hotels.

They leave every half hour and you get your ticket from the front desk of the hotel.

gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/…

The schedule of the hotel pick up times is on the link.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 13:17
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX Hotels on W Century Blvd or Airport Blvd?

We've usually booked through Hotwire or Priceline, but sometimes booking directly or through a site like Expedia or AA.com can work out well, especially on weekends (when rates are usually lower). We've stayed at the Hilton, Sheraton Gateway, Crowne Plaza, Radisson and Holiday Inn. All had shuttles. All of the ones we stayed at had shuttles to LAX (usually one shuttle serving a couple of hotels). Many major hotels on Century, but some are just around the corner on Airport (closer to car rental lots).

What hotels are you considering?

As noted, not a fantastic area for diversions, but we felt safe (we weren't out late at night), including walking to and from a a bus stop (LAX transportation center) in back of the Radisson, to get to Westwood and Santa Monica.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 15:07