We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios parking

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Universal Studios parking

Any tips for free parking around the Uni Studios area? $15 seems excessive when you are already paying for park entry... thanks!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios parking

There really aren't any practical alternatives. Where is your hotel? Perhaps, you could take public transit to Universal ($1.50 per person, each way). If there are 2 of you, that would be $6 (assuming that you'd only need one bus or metro rail train from your hotel). If you need 2 conveyances in succession, than the fare would be $12 for the 2 of you which isn't much of a savings over driving and, of course, if there are 4 of you, those fares would be doubled.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios parking

Thanks for that! Yes two of us and would be much easier / quick to drive. Just seems a little strange to pay for parking, I live near the big theme parks at the Gold Coast in Australia and they have huge areas of free parking. Any other tips about parking in LA generally? Thanks for your help!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal Studios parking

You can park free in the lot for Universal City Metro Red Line Station on Lankershim, walk across Lankershim and take the tram up the hill to Universal Studios.

This is a lot for the Metro passengers — many of whom are early morning commuters — so the lot fills up early in the day. But spaces do open up. You might have to drive around a bit to find one. The lot is larger than it looks and goes way back by the freeway overpass.

If you can't find parking in the main lot, there's a skinny overflow lot for Metro that starts at the corner of Lankershim and Ventura Blvd. on the other side of the 101 Freeway and runs west (to the right) along Ventura Blvd. Just past the freeway onramp is an even larger lot. The walk from these lots on Ventura Blvd. is a bit farther to the tram than the main lot but still walkable.

Note: Do not park on the residential streets around Universal Studios if there are signs posted which say "no parking without a permit." Obey the signs. The parking enforcement people in the city of Los Angeles are vultures and they WILL ticket you.

Also, in some areas of L.A., if you're parking on the street in a business district and you see no meters and you think it's free parking — look around and look at the posted signs. There may be "pay stations" every 20 yards or so, where you enter your space number, which is painted on the curb, and put in your money or credit card. Downtown Studio City has this system and the parking enforcement personnel are always ticketing folks who don't feed the pay station.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 15:22
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal Studios parking

You'd also pay for parking at Disneyland and other parks. I think I paid $11 a year or two ago, and that was for an outlying lot (others were filled). One great thing about travel is you find not everyone does it the same way as is done "back home." Americans are known for going to another country and saying "Well, that's not the way we do it where I'm from." I don't like to pay for parking, either, but it's common even at hotels in many urban areas, and you are already paying for the hotel. In San Francisco, I saw hotel parking rates upto over $50. You're going to pay a lot to go to Universal for the day. $15 is small change in comparison.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 15:47
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal Studios parking

I wouldn't recommend parking in the Metro lots as they are designed for commuters. If the lots are patrolled and you are seen leaving the area, your car will be ticketed with a fine that will far exceed the cost of parking at Universal.

In Los Angeles, we pay for parking in many, many places. It's not unusual to pay to park your car while visiting a restaurant. The Hollywood & Highland Center (shopping) Mall in nearby Hollywood charges $2 for 2 hours worth of parking and then charges $1 for every FIFTEEN MINUTES so if you visit the Mall (shop, have lunch, etc) for 3 hours, you'll pay $6.

Where is your hotel?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal Studios parking

After reading HopSkipJump's comments regarding parking at the Metro lot, I retract my previous statement about parking there. I don't recommend parking there.

There are security patrols at the Metro lot who work for the LA County Sheriff's Office and they probably ticket people who leave the lot and don't use the subway. I've only parked there a few times in the middle of the day to use the subway.

Just pay the 15 bucks to park at Universal Studios. Parking is close to CityWalk and the entrance, it's safe and it has its own security patrol.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 19:46
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal Studios parking

Thanks everyone. Around LA is street parking generally the best? From what I've read the Hollywood and Highland is a good option for the Hollywood area. Staying at the Holiday Inn LAX. Thanks

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal Studios parking

Street parking, at least in business areas and residential neighborhoods close to attractions, typically metered or otherwise limited as to when you can park there. "Feeding the meter" (parking longer than the allowed time by putting more money in a meter CAN subject you to a fine). Parking in places, or at times, specifically prohibited can get your car towed.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 19:54
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Universal Studios parking

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

10. Re: Universal Studios parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:18