We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

Hello,

we have a very tight budget but still would like to enjoy christmas holiday in California. We live near LA, and were already in San Diego and are not interested in Palm Springs or Joshua Tree.

We love nature but do not have RV,We do not do ski or winter sport.. we would like your kind recommendation..

I searched this site and Really do not have the clue where to go...

are there places like Yosemite or other nice places to see in December and not closed?

we have been in San Francisco. What about Napa Valley? or other places? where do you think we can enjoy the holiday without spending a large sum of money?

thank you so much - Tal

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

With kids or without?

Drive or fly?

More specific on budget?

Stay in CA or leave the state?

How many days?

Preference for warm or cool/cold weather?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

oh thank you

, you're absolutely right with those focusing questions:

we have one kid, 15 years old.

only one driver on the fways so its tough for the distant places...

flying depends on how much - 200$-300$ per personfor a roundtrip is the max budget.

we can have 10 days or so, starting from Dec 22nd.

we love the cool weather, not too cold. no preference for warm weather though.

About outside of California - we thought about New Mexico or Utah, but we still want your kind ideas.

all the best and thanks in advance

Tal.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

With 10 days, you could do some travel, but winter weather will be a factor. I like Tucson in December. If you stay in the airport area, the hotels are reasonable.

We were in Northern New Mexico just last week - Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos. I think it would be lovely at Christmas, but could be snowy at such high elevation and will most definitely be cold.

Have you visited Orange County? If you stay inland, you can explore the ritzy areas of Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Balboa, Huntington Beach, San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, etc., as day trips. I know lots of folks choose Anaheim as a base because hotel rates are reasonable.

The biggest problem for you will be the higher prices charged for hotels in December, especially in the LA area (due to the Rose Parade), cold and snow, and the fact that you aren't interested in winter sports (don't take it personally, I moved here to get away from winter and don't regret it at all).

Good luck, I hope I've given you some ideas!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

Your options are quite extensive, which is good....but bad to nail down a trip.

Arizona also came to mind, especially the Grand Canyon. One fun trip is via the Grand Canyon Railway, especially in winter. http://www.thetrain.com/

The Death Valley area and Owens Valley area are beautiful in winter. Perhaps combine that with a trip to Mammoth.

I see you have been in SF but did you take the coastal route? That is one of the most beautiful drives in the world.

How about the samll coastal towns north of SF? The Willits area has a fun train ride to Ft Bragg, The Super Skunk.

Catalina Island is close and can make for a fun couple days.

Dr. Z

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

thank you so much.

we live in

orange county and those places mentioned are really beautiful !

Arizona is great, especially the Grand Canyon. we have been there in April which is the perfect time for a visit to my opinion.

As for the inland places, thank you - we shall see about them.

also regarding the Death Valley and the other, can be good ideas also

thank you both - Tal

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

btw. what is the rose parade in LA??

and when?

thanks - Tal

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

The Rose Parade has been going on in the city of Pasadena since 1890! It is a huge parade of flower/plant covered floats. Really, the best parade in the country. It is held New Years Day (begins at 8:00 am), unless NY day falls on a Sunday, then it is held on 1/2.

Many people arrive the day before and sleep on the sidewalks. Others arrive the morning of the parade and just choose a place along the route. Still others purchase tickets to sit in grandstands (that's what we prefer to do).

The first time I went, we drove up from San Juan Capistrano. My BIL at the time had done this many times and would choose a place at the end of the parade route so that he didn't need to arrive in the wee hours of the morning. We were sure we'd miss the whole thing, but we saw it all.

Be aware that if you plan to stay overnight for the parade, you will probably not be able to rent accommodations in Pasadena. It might be a better idea to stay in Hollywood or downtown LA and take advantage of the Metro Rail service into Pasadena.

Here is the official website:

nhm.org/site/…dinosaur-hall

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

I see I gave you the wrong website! This should do it:

www.tournamentofroses.com/TheRoseParade.aspx

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

Well, I was going to suggest a few of these places that are already mentioned now so here's my last idea.

Take the Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner) from say Anaheim to Santa Barbara (your 15 year old would be half price).

http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

Or if you don't want to take the train you could drive there spending some time in Ventura, Ojai, Santa Barbara, and Solvang.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best recommendation for Christmas trip in Christmas

thank you all for those lovely ideas

tal