We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which marriott hotel to stay at ????

medina
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
which marriott hotel to stay at ????

my wife and I are going to visit la for the first time and will be doing the normal touristy things.....movie lot tour, Venice beach, rose bowl, la coliseum, rodeo drive, etc. and was wondering which Marriott would be the best place to stay for a 4-5 day stay. We are Marriott users. We will be flying into lax and leaving to go to Dana Point, Catalina Island, Carlsbad, and Dan Diego after that. I am planning to not drive when in la but will use cabs, limo's public transportation, etc. whatever is necessary. I will then go back to lax and rent a car to travel south. Along the way, I want to play Trump golf course and Torrey Pines as well. We will eventually leave the rental car in SD and fly home from there. We are retired and look at this as our southern California trip.We are planning about about 10-14 days.But any help and advice on the Marriott situation would be very much appreciated. thank you .....bob

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which marriott hotel to stay at ????

If it has to be a Marriott Hotel, I would choose the Marriott at LA Live downtown. From here you can easily access the public transportation to go to most of the places you'd like to see.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which marriott hotel to stay at ????

Well the best Marriott hotels are the Ritz Carlton's in Marina del Rey and Downtown LA, then the JW Marriott's in Downtown and Santa Monica (note, the JW Marriott & Ritz Downtown LA are in the same building), after that there are dozens of Marriott's, Courtyards, Fairfield Inns and Residence Inn. It just depends on what you want to spend and where you want to be.

I also think not getting a car in LA is a huge mistake. The area is large and taxis or limos will be expensive.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which marriott hotel to stay at ????

I'm with Scott. I'm a huge fan of public transit but, in your case, your sites are so far apart (and transferring back to LAX to get the car will take you out of your way) that I would recommend getting the car right away. In most cases, weekly rates are better than daily rates so if you plan to stay for 2 weeks, having the car for only 10 days (NOT during your L.A. visit) will probably cost about the same as a 2 week rental.

If you're looking to select the hotel based SOLELY on how conveniently-located it is, then we need to look at your specific list of tourist attractions:

1. Movie lot tour -- Paramount is in Hollywood (east of Beverly Hills). Warner Bros is in Burbank (northeast of Hollywood), Sony is in Culver City (southwest of Beverly Hills).

2. Venice beach (at the western edge of our metro area)

3. Rose bowl (in Pasadena (in the northeast corner of our metro area)

4. L.A. coliseum (just south of downtown, which is near the eastern edge of our city).

5, Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills

So, as you can see, your sites are quite spread out. If we make a map of them, it would look like this: http://mapq.st/SfOrP5

The most centrally-located Marriott Hotel to all of those attractions is the Residence Inn on the southern border of (but just outside of) Beverly Hills. The neighborhood is a residential one with local shopping and some dining but you'd probably drive somewhere close by for dinner.

Here's the map with the Residence Inn included:

http://mapq.st/RxPNWA

(The hotel is marked 'G' on the map).

If, however, you plan to do without a car, I wouldn't stay in this location since the public transit isn't that great and there is no 'pedestrian presence' at night. If you wanted 'nightlife', you'd need to take a taxi (not a big deal but why stay in an isolated area?).

To be honest, if you plan to do without a car, then I'd skip staying with Marriott and stay in Hollywood at the Loews, for example. Easy public transit to everywhere.

medina
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which marriott hotel to stay at ????

Well, I want to thank you for your advice. I thought about it and will take your recommendation and rent a car. When you sent me that map, it was quite clear as to what I should do. As for which Marriott we will stay at, we have decided to stay in Santa Monica, as a lot of the places we want to see are in the northern to northeast part of la. I want to thank you again for the map that was sent and to the rest of you for your help.

If anyone is ever coming to "Cleveland, oh " I would love to repay the effort that you made, but I don't think you will need a map.

Thank again

Bob

5. Re: which marriott hotel to stay at ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:17