We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Hearst Castle?

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
After Hearst Castle?

We are spending our last full day in California visiting Hearst Castle. We then need to depart LAX the next morning on a 10.30 flight to Hawaii. I have been warned here before about traffic getting to LAX during morning times. I'm trying to work out where to spend our last night after our Castle visit and have been advised to stay closer to LA. Do people consider Santa Barbara or Santa Monica close enough or should I try for closer to LAX? I'm trying to avoid too long a drive after the Castle visit. We don't mind early starts but we are now concerned about LA traffic. Thanks again for any advice.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
498 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Hearst Castle?

A lot depends on when your Hearst Castle tour is, and when you plan to head south. Santa Barbara is still a 2 hour drive from LAX. To get from San Simeon to Santa Monica would take you about 4 hours, give or take depending on traffic slowdowns. I'd say Santa Monica is a good choice - it's only about 20 minutes to LAX from there, and it's a fun town with plenty of choices for accommodations and places to eat.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Hearst Castle?

Santa Monica is a good choice if you have some time to spend there that evening. However, if you aren't going to get in until late evening and are simply going to want to go to bed, I'd suggest choosing a hotel by LAX. For one thing they are a lot cheaper than Santa Monica and you'll be right by the airport for your flight (you will need to get there early). Why pay more if all you are going to do is sleep? So it depends on time of arrival and if you'll have energy/time to enjoy Santa Monica.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,676 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Hearst Castle?

Santa Monica would be best as it is an easy 7 miles from the airport.. But Koda is correct; you could just press on, have dinner somewhere, return your rental car that night, and stay near the airport. Have a great time in Hawaii!

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After Hearst Castle?

Thank you both...good advice here for sure. I think I'll aim for Santa Monica and try to get there before dark/dinner.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Hearst Castle?

You could consider grabbing the 6:20 flight from Santa Barbara to LAX.

6. Re: After Hearst Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:16