We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
G O
Los Angeles...
9 posts
Save Topic
road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Hi, I am hoping to leave Los Angeles for Vancouver in the next 10 days on a roadtrip. The trip was originally planned for December but had to be postponed due to bad weather. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions regarding this drive that I am about to embark on. I am very worried about the drive due to road & weather conditions although the forecast for the next week is encouraging. I have no interest on taking a scenic route this time as I would rather get to destination as soon as I can on safest route possible. I will be travelling with my 12-yr old Golden Retriever to go visit with family and am praying that we get there safely and hopefully in no more than 3 full days of driving ( 8-10 hours ), if possible. I assume I will have to rent or buy snow tire chains & have also been told to take anti-freeze with me, therefore, any advice on these would also be much appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,452 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Welcome to TA

This is a perfect question for the road trips forum as 99.99 percent of the info you need is not about LA

http://goo.gl/maps/drbHK is the direct route to Vancouver a distance of around 1300 or so miles. Have a good trip

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,067 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

I think the only real problem area is crossing the Siskiyous at the border between CA and OR. Cross during daylight hours.

But the Road Trips forum might be a better choice, or maybe the CA state forum. The route to both Vancouver WA or to Vancouver BC is pretty easy. Get on I-5 and go north.

G O
Los Angeles...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Thanks to both for taking the time to reply & suggest the better site for this post - I shall repost at Road Trips when I locate the link as I had just registered to this site earlier today. Destination is Vancouver, BC. I was aware of route being simply I-5. The concern was primarily road & weather condition since long distance driving on snowy roads or worse, black ice, is not something I have done often being a long time resident of Los Angeles. I was hoping to also hear from the more experienced with suggestions on how to navigate through this, what to bring, what to be equipped with for the unexpected what ifs, etc. Appreciate for the link for direct route as well.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Take warm cloths & blankets for dog in case you do get stranded. Extra food & water would be good. Apples, grapes, & nuts make good snack & emergency food.

Cell phone fully charged. Take a laptop if you can & stop for wireless connection at motels or Starbucks. If it looks clear try to hit Ca/Or border in early afternoon....higher temps, less chance of black ice.

Take your time.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Eugene, Oregon is a nice town for a stopover. Good restaurants and you can walk the dog on the lovely University of Oregon campus.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

Road trip forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Also might want to post your question on Oregon and Washington forums.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

You should have clear roads if you take the I-5 the whole way if youre lucky, but be prepared for cold, ice and frost the more north you get. Of course, there is a possibility of snow...we don't usually get much up here but it is winter and we can get some significant dumps of it sometimes. Snow tires would be all youd need (they can help you a bit when its icy too). Best advice is to travel when it's light out and to go slow. Also try to avoid the Portland and Seattle areas during rush hour...some of the worst traffic I've seen - and yes I've driven in L.A.!!!

It's the usual winter rain right now in Vancouver, ugh...

Edited: 05 January 2013, 21:56
8. Re: road trip from LA to Vancouver in mid-January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17