We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar car rental LAX

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar car rental LAX

Has anyone recently had good or bad experience dealing with Dollar car rentals. I mean like in 2012/13 not older.

I have paid and recieved a voucher for Chrysler 300 or similar. Hopefully not a last century looking Ford Crown Victoria. I've done it through a 3rd company rentalcars.com which is a part of Priceline.com. Rentalcars.com has negotiated a good price and included unlimited kilometres/Kilometers/Miles plus:

Insurance

- Collision Damage Waiver

- Theft Protection

- 3rd Party Liability

- Supplementary Liability Insurance

- Uninsured Motorist Protection )

-Local Taxes

-Airport Surcharge

-Premium location fee

-Homeland Security Fee

I know there are a lot of complaints on here about Dollar and Thrifty. But I understand more people will post complaints than complements which is part of human nature.

However this site has given me information to be weary and look out for signing contracts without reading it and not being hurried by the desk agent probably working on commission.

I also see that some people have used 3rd party like me which is pretty much the same company I have used and had no problems at all.

Anyway as the latin saying goes 'Caveat Emptor'.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1 post
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

Be wary indeed. we hired a car ia third party for pick up lax.

check in was slow and painful.

He tried to rush us through the paper work.

Check everything and then write on the sheet what you think he is saying.

for instance we had an suv for 12 days. the car was fine with 57000 on the clock. ut we confirmed at the desk that if we wanted extra days the ost would be $51 per day.

When we rang to extend by two days the cost was not $102 but $300 because they wanted to put a new lot of insurance etc on top. We should have written the $51 on the sheet and had him sign it!

So beware. Trying to talk to some one on the phone is almost impossible unless you speak Spanish They are incredibly difficult to understand and very impatient.

I think they also have some very old cars.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

Rented from Dollar at LAX back in June 2012. Maybe I'm lucky as I had no issues whatsoever with Dollar as I signed up to their Dollar Express programme after hearing many horror stories online. The Express programme allows you to skip the rental desks avoiding the hard sale and straight into your rental car.

I got off the shuttle bus and the Express desk was in the parking lot and no waiting. The lady pointed me to my car which was a Chevvy Impala with all my paperwork already inside. I didn't like the car and the lady said just pick another car from this other row. I picked a very new Nissan Altima.

Drove the car from LA-Anaheim-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas without missing a beat. Returned the car at LV McCarran airport and it was all good with no extra charges from Dollar.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

DO NOT USE THIS CAR RENTAL! We waited 45 minutes for the shuttle and then two buses drove by us too full to pick us up. We had to take a $20.00 taxi ride to the pick up our cars. Our cars we not ready for pick up at the rapid pick up, so we had to go inside and wait in a hideously long line. AND THEN when we went out to the bay of cars to get our car NO CARS!!!

Finally, after another long delay we finally got a car. The extra stress this added to our trip was not worth any money we saved.

Next time, it is HERTZ all the way

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,480 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

Well if you are a member of their frequent renter program AND that number is on your reservation then as mentioned below you wo tnhave to deal with salespeople. I think the main issue is the extra charges. There was a recent NY Times article on that. Go search the time online site. Yes if you are prepared you should be ok. But on the other hand why go through this hassle. You get what you pay for. So if you think you are getting a good deal. Put up with the headache and you will be fine

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

You won't get a 1999 or older car. It may not be the model you like (depends what they usually have and what's rented/returned before you show up). You can call them (the specific location, not the central #) and ask what you'd likely get if you rented most days. No guarantees, but gives you an idea.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

I'm almost too angry to even think about this again. 20 hr plane trip from Melbourne to LA. have to wait 30 mins for Dollar bus while Hertz, Budget, National etc circled continuously.

Get to Dollar along with a hundred other people. TWO hour wait - standing in a queue. TWO HOURS!!! The rudest customer service you've ever met. When I asked why there were 3 staff assisting Express Customers where there was no queue and 5 staff serving the 100+ customers, he flipped out at me and said I hadn't given him a chance t speak! I'd said ONE sentence which he tried to interrupt. Put up his hand and said "I'm not speaking to you." What kind of arrogant, rude customer service they have. Half the staff chit chatting amongst themselves. Took them 10 minutes PER CUSTOMER!

Bathrooms are a health hazard. One poor kid was beside himself as he couldn't tolerate staying in the bathroom and when the cleaner was called, he said there was nothing the matter and the kid was just a big cry baby.

When we were told we could go get a car we had to get them to go find one! Unbelievable. Never again. Ever.

I took photos to prove all this.

DO NOT GO TO DOLLAR.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

I think the best things to do, no matter which Rental Car Company you use.

Sign up for the Frequent Rental Program, and do as much as you can on line, including all the personal info, and declining insurance and other options you don't need.

If you do have to go to the Rental Car Company, just say NO! to anything extra they offer. Say you made a reservation, here is a print out of what I requested and need, and please hand me the keys and point me to the car. When you get tot he car, inspect it inside and out, and note any issues with the car, including minor things before leaving. And if there is a major issue, ask for a different car.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,480 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

There is an article on Dollar in the New York times about how they gouge customers. We have seen this often at LAX and 99 percent of the regulars on this forum would advise people against using Dollar at LAX.

Do other car companies have issues ? Yes at times but the number of issues with Dollar far exceeds the complaints one sees about other companies.

We rented from Avis just 2 weeks ago and i don't know about the lines because the Avis driver dropped us right in front of the rental car. We knew the car port because Avis emailed us that when we landed and we were out in 30 seconds. It pays to go with the better companies and as mentioned before sign up for their frequent renter program.

Sorry you had issues with Dollar.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

Post #2 said no problems with Dollar when they signed up in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollar car rental LAX

Yes, I've calmed down. Must research better in future but as far as online check-in goes, the guys behind had done it all online but still had to stand in the 2hr queue so it only saved them 5 mins once they were at the desk. Definitely recommend becoming a member but would still never book with Dollar again. Thanks for all the responses.