We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Megabus

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Using Megabus

We are looking to book megabus tickets in June when we visit America. We are traveling from San Francisco to Los Angeles The tickets are very cheap can anyone tell me about the service and what to expect.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Megabus

I highly suggest you to book now. I am also going in the beginning of June. I live in the Bay Area and had a friend use Megabus as transportation to Disneyland. She recommended it so i bought two tickets today for $73.50 round trip. Enjoy your travels.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Megabus

It is a very nice bus, but still a bus, here are some photos of it from the LA Travel Show.

http://tinyurl.com/b4vlalp

Free WiFi and a restroom, but bring your own food/drink.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,248 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Megabus

You can certainly use Megabus but do note that you will spend the whole day traveling. If you are spending 3-4 weeks or more in CA it makes sense but you can also look at www.southwest.com or www.kayak.com for low airfares from LAX or BUR to SFO or OAK. The flight is 55 minutes compared to an 8 hour bus journey.

Airfares can be as low as $60 to $75 one way if booked early

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Megabus

SF to LA fares -- even in June -- are mostly $1 on weekdays. For that price I wouldn't quibble over service.

Perth, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Megabus

thankyou very much for the heads up. I have been waiting for them to open the june dates. We just booked our tickets for 1.00 dollar. How good is that. thanks again.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Megabus

You just cant beat those dollar seats! But there are a few things to be aware of. Most Megabus stops are outdoors, so there will be no shelter in inclement weather and no nearby restroom. This is especially relevant when the buses are late, which happens frequently. So dress accordingly. There is no assigned seating. Large bags are stored under the bus, smaller daypacks can go onboard. The LA/SF bus is very popular I'm told, so will generally always be full There are electrical outlets on board, as well as free wifi, but can work intermittently, so make sure mp3/laptops/camera batteries are charged beforehand just in case. Bus will make a reststop along the way at a petrol station where you can buy snacks, but dont linger cause the bus will leave without you-they dont count passengers to make sure everyones is there. Dont know where the LA stop is, but they can be in slightly dodgy areas, especially for early morning or late night departures/arrivals, so you may have to put up with some pan-handlers. And, as is always the case, some people will think it is too cold onboard, some will think it is too warm, so bring onboard a blanket or extra layers just in case

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Megabus

The Megabus stop in LA is Union Station. Not a particularrly sketchy area.

8. Re: Using Megabus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:15