We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Hello fellow advisors! My daughter should hear in the next month whether she is accepted to UCSD or UCSB. Regardless, she chose for her special senior year spring break trip with me, SoCal! I just booked our flights, but I have no idea what to do or where to stay. Here are our only parameters: She needs to visit UC Santa Barbara and San Diego where we are there. We are flying into LAX. I'm trying to come up with a nice itinerary for school visiting, sightseeing, and beach time. I'm nearly positive we are going to have to rent a car for the duration, though I will be honest and say I'm a bit nervous to drive in the famed Cali traffic.

Trying to decide between hotel or condo. Not sure I want to eat out every meal, but maybe that is a given since we'll be traveling in a 220 mile area. Any options for B and B's? Would like something different. We are into adventures with food, etc. My daughter and I are both fairly low maintenance, outdoorsy and high energy. Trying to stay on a budget for sleeping so we can spend more on fun and food.

So, Santa Barbara to San Diego and everything in between. I want to hear from the experts, locals, and those with a heart for SoCal! Thanks in advance!

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Also, looking for the best place to attend Easter Sunday church. We were thinking David Jeremiah's in San Diego, Jentezen Franklin in Orange county or somewhere in Malibu or Santa Barbara. Any ideas would be appreciated. We liked bible based non-denom church, but are open to anything else.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,351 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Ah! Visiting colleges. Hope your daughter gets into the school of her dreams.

Have you booked your airlines yet? Just wondering what day of week you are arriving/what time of day you are arriving and for how many days.

I would go to Santa Barbara first. The drive there, via the Pacific Coast Highway, is beautiful through Malibu. Many hotels in Santa Barbara require a 2 night stay. For accommodations closest to the school, check their website to see what they recommend. However, because you have a car, it is less important because SB is full of hotels and motels - and probably B&Bs (check with their forum page).

After your time there, head back toward San Diego. If you make it a day trip, you can check out a couple of beach towns along the way. Here are a couple of stops you might be interested in:

Long Beach: Home to the Queen Mary ship and a very nice aquarium

Huntington Beach: Surf City USA

Laguna Beach: One of California's prettiest beach towns.

La Jolla: Another beautiful beach town.

Again, this is a day trip. The drive from Santa Barbara to San Diego is 215 miles and, optomistically, takes 3.5 hours to drive straight through.

After a few days in San Diego - there is a ton of things to do there (check with their forum), head back to LA. Here, you can stay in Hollywood to save a few $$ or, better for a mom and daughter travelling together, stay in Santa Monica.

Sightseeing here includes all of Santa Monica (you will love it), perhaps a hop-on-hop off bus to Hollywood to see the sights there, museums and galleries, downtown walking tour, The Getty Center (the views, gardens and art, plus I understand their restaurant is good, too).

Please don't worry too much about traffic. Our freeways are pretty well signed and if you can avoid rush hours (7-9 am, 4-7 pm) during weekdays, you will likely wonder what all the fuss is about!

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Oh thank you! Excellent ideas for travel and timing.

We are arriving on a Tuesday evening and leaving the following Tuesday morning. I'm thinking we should stay for the 1st night right near LAX airport since our flight arrives at 6:40pm. I've read about this Dresden B & B near LA that looks cute. I'm not sure where to stay that 1st night. The next day we can plan to take that drive you mentioned to Santa Barbara. I will check out that forum to come up with 2 nice nights there.

Any recommendations for 'must eat' restaurants in either LA, SB or on the way lunch spots? We both are not picky eaters and we like different food and sushi.

Thanks again. Any other ideas you may have are appreciated!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,351 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

The Dresden B&B looks lovely, but I don't think you will want to drive across half of LA to get to it for one night! It is inland and, as you are travelling on the Pacific Coast Highway the next morning, you should base your first night near it. Perhaps consider it at the end of your trip after Santa Barbara and San Diego.

You might consider staying in Manhattan Beach, a very cute beach town 3 miles south of LAX. Or, north of the airport, perhaps this B&B in Playa del Rey (it's probably 3 miles from LAX too):

bedandbreakfast.com/california-los-angeles-i…

Santa Monica is a good choice, too, because you can hop right on the Pacific Coast Highway in the morning to get to SB.

I would not recommend you stay in a hotel at the airport because there is just not that much to walk to for a meal or to even stretch your legs the first evening.

In terms of must eat; you want to choose based on where you are. Once you decide where you are staying in LA, let us know and we can make recommendations based on neighborhoods. Be sure to try some Mexican food while here.

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Thanks! I think we'll try Manhattan Beach... As I get things booked, I'll post on here.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,896 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Not sure how I missed this post....

Shadow Mountain (David Jeremiah) is way out in the sticks in the Granite Hills. You might look at The Rock and Miles McPherson, depending on where you are staying.

http://www.shadowmountain.org/ http://goo.gl/maps/9i0IX

http://www.sdrock.com/

If you are going to be in Santa Barbara you could look at Calvary Chapel of SB.

http://www.calvarychapelsb.com/

Mendenhall...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

So exciting! Thank you for sharing. I had never known about Miles McPherson. I just listened to a video and read his testimony. Wow! I think my 18 yr old would really connect with his style. Do you know where he leads? It looks like there are 3 or 4 campuses of The Rock Church. I was a little confused on location. We are staying in LaJolla.

Definitely better than schlepping it out to El Cajon.

Very grateful for your input.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,896 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

Miles is at the main Rock location in Liberty Station off Rosecrans.

http://www.sdrock.com/campuses/pointloma/

9. Re: SoCal trip next month 3/25 - 4/2. Never been need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 05:17