We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios VIP Tour

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Universal Studios VIP Tour

Has anyone been on the VIP Tour? Just after a bit of feedback please. Is the VIP Tour worth the extra? Cheers

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

IMHO, yes it is!

It is amazing, a small private tour for a few hours, 2 meals, then Front of the Line access to shows and attractions in the afternoon.

Highly rated...

viator.com/tours/…TR

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Sorry to jump on this post but my partner and I are also interested in doing the VIP tour but we wanted to know if we could upgrade from the So Cal City Pass to do the VIP tour?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Not sure, I would call them directly during working hours and ask...

universalstudioshollywood.com/tickets/…

1-818-622-8477

And please post the answer you get here, so we can let others now....

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Be aware that the VIP Experience is an intense immersion to the Movie and Television Industry. If you are PASSIONATE about movies and TV (and can, for example, name all of Steven Spielberg's movies, the year they were released, the actors who appeared in them, etc, etc) then the VIP Experience is perfect for you.

If, however, you simply LIKE American movies and TV, then the VIP Experience is going to be hours and hours of facts and figures that will do nothing but put you to sleep.

Most visitors are content with taking a standard 2 hour (or 2 hour, 15 minute) 'studio tour' at either Warner Bros (a 10 minute taxi ride or drive from Universal), Paramount (in Hollywood, also not far from Universal) or at Sony (on the west side of Los Angeles in the Culver City neighborhood).

These 'standard tours' are also conducted in small groups (between 11 persons at WB to about 30 persons at Sony) and take you behind the scenes like the studio tour at the VIP Experience at Universal does. They do not include admission to a theme park -- Universal is primarily a theme park with rides and live shows PLUS a studio tour -- which comes in 2 versions:

a. The 'standard tour' which comes with the general admission ticket. The tour itself is about 25 minutes long conducted on a tram with 200+ people on it. You have no opportunity to ask questions, you never get off the tram to explore and the second half of the 'tour' is a 'special effects' ride where the tram is confronted with various 'disasters' (being attacked by a shark, riding across a collapsing bridge, etc).

b. The VIP tour which is much longer and has priority seating and queuing at the live shows and rides.

Another big difference between the 'standard tours' at WB, Paramount and Sony and the VIP Experience at Universal is the cost. The former 3 studios offer their 2 to 2-1/2 hour 'behind the scenes' tours (in groups of between 11 and 30 persons) at a cost of between $35 and $49.

Meanwhile Universal's VIP experience (which includes admission to the theme park -- there is no way to take the tour without buying admission to the theme park) with priority seating and queuing at shows and rides and lunch is $289 per person.

So, is it worth it? If you KNOW the movie and TV industry in great depth, it will be a once in a life experience. However, if you're the typical fan of American Movie and TV, you're apt to be bored through most of it.

Your choice.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

OK, I did the Standard Tour at Universal on Monday, the actual tour, from boarding to unloading was just over 1 hour in length.

And a big difference between the Universal VIP and the other Studio Tours, there is a lot of "entertainment" stops, such as watching King Kong in 3-D in an amazing facility that offers motion and a screen that surrounds you. A Earthquake Simulator, having Jaws the Shark attack the small tram vehicle, walking in the War of the World Movie Set, which includes a real 747 in parts. The Universal experence is a lot different than the other options. I have done it before, and not the biggest TV/Movie fan and at no time did I feel bored or about to fall asleep, Universal does a great job in keeping folks entertained all during the tour.

As mentioned before, check out the reviews of actual folks who took the VIP tour in post #1....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Thanks for the replies everyone

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Yes it is. Wouldn't have done it any other way and the 5 star gourmet buffet is soooo good

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

The Universal tram tour does not do the collapsing bridge anymore. You can ask questions at the end after the tram tour is over when you get off (the guide offers at the end). The basic tram tour is included with admission so you get the hour tour and full day in the park for $84 (there are often discounts though). Warner Brothers basic tour is $52 so it is $32 more to get a full day experience at US, if that is what you want.

To compare the VIP at Universal you really should compare to something like the WB deluxe tour. US is $299 for the VIP, includes breakfast and lunch, the tour, valet parking plus front of the line and you can spend the day at the theme park if you would like. The deluxe tour at WB is $250, is 5 hours and includes lunch.

Read reviews and decide. I have not done the VIP but I certainly enjoy US and its regular tram tour. I have seen the VIP tour and it looks fun. They get out of the vehicle and get to walk around some of the sets and it is obviously more in depth..

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Terrific, it worth every penny, good tour guide, we have been pampered, we have seen interesting things in a small group. we had also the front of the line for the attractions.

I vividly recommand it

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Universal Studios VIP Tour

Yes!

We did it a few years ago now but it was fantastic, we have no regrets about spending the extra money