We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

We are looking at going on a family holiday in sep /oct 2013 with our teenage girls ....interested in hearing from anyone who has .done this trip .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

That's an interesting one, because United is probaby the least expensive, but their flights to Hawaii will layover in Los Angeles or San Francisco. I think maybe the best way to do it is to book Sydney to Honolulu round trip, and ask if you are allowed a free stopover in Los Angeles on the way back. The website says that stopovers are $100 additional, but it may be different when booking from down under.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

It looks like there's no one airline that flies between Sydney and both Hawaii (Honolulu) and Los Angeles non-stop - several airlines do one or the other, but none do both. From what I can see, Joesorce is correct that United will be the cheapest way to go - trying to book the flights separately on different airlines comes out to be more money than United, at least with the airlines on Kayak.com for the sample dates in Sep / Oct that I tried. Of course, United entials stopping in LAX between Honolulu and Sydney, but that's two non-stop flights out of the three and no other airline can do better.

The other consideration would be what island or islands in Hawaii do you want to visit? If its only Oahu (Honolulu) then the above seems to be true for sure. However, if your trip involves different islands in Hawaii I would try to price all your flights together on one multi-leg booking, but I would also try to price SYD->HNL->LAX-> SYD (or SYD->LAX->HNL->SYD) as one trip, and then whatever flights you need between the islands in Hawaii as a separate (multi-leg?) trip, starting and ending in HNL.

I'd also post this question in the Air Travel forum here on Trip Advisor - a different set of people tend to frequent that forum than do the Los Angeles forum and they may have some better insights for you.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,837 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

Doesn't Hawaiian Airlines go to Australia now? I would check their website.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

ddffpp - I did check theirs - they fly non-stop between HNL and SYD (and also non-stop HNL to Brisbane) but not non-stop between SYD and LAX. United's fares seem cheaper - the main difference is with Hawaiian, you have to stop in HNL to get to LAX. With United, you have to stop at LAX to get to HNL.

Perth, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

We are a family of four and are flying with Qantas Sydney to LAX , then Qantas codeshare (american airlines ) LAX to Honululu and finally Qantas Hon to Syd all up our total cost for a family of four was $5600 for April 2013 .If we wanted to go in July prices goes up to over $12000 .

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

Sep/Oct is not high season for travel to Hawaii or L.A., so keep checking fares and hope that they come down. Fare sales usually pop up 90 days before travel until about 30 days before travel, no need to book this early. When checking fares, check the "view seats" option and if the airplane is 3/4 empty, you have no need to rush.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

Sept/Oct is indeed high season for flights from Aus to USA as all schools here have a 2 week holiday break at that time of year. Unfortunately Hawaii is not really a 'stopover' anymore on most airline routes.

Adding Hawaii makes it an expensive flight as you really need to price up individual legs.

We did SYD to HNL with Jetstar, stayed there a week or so then did HNL to LAX with American Airlines and then LAX to SYD with Qantas. This was back in 2010 using Qantas points for the whole family on all legs.

Gladstone, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

We are a family of 4 looking at going in late Nov/Dec and have been checking out the airfares constantly. Qantas fares were $7745 from Bris-LA and LA - Hon-Bris and there is a direct sale on qantas now from Bris-LA and back for between $1199 and $1299. Am umming and ahhing about skipping Hawaii?? It is an extra $2500 at the moment to go.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

Happy Tourist: It should not be an extra $2500 to go to Honolulu. Book your $1200 tickets from Brisbane to Los Angeles with a return booking from Honolulu to Brisbane. Then in the middle of the trip you just need one-way tickets from Los Angeles to Honolulu ($265pp in early Dec) or from San Diego to Honolulu ($210pp in early December). If you are seeing higher prices it must be later in December as the holidays jack the prices way up for travel to Hawaii.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to fly to LA with a Hawaii stopover from sydney

Donna....fares go up on Sept 19th, apparently due to the school vacation period. If you can depart Sydney Sept 18 or earlier, you can save $500 per ticket.