We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours in LAX

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
298 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours in LAX

Ive just booked a flight to visit friends in northern CA, and the schedule 'allows' me 6 hours in LAX, arriving from Amsterdam midday in 4 days time.

I normally transit with shorter connections through Seattle or Portland, but this was the best deal with KLM at short notice.

Assuming two hours max to clear immigration and recheck my bag, please does anyone have any ideas of what i could do for the remaining 4 hours? I do not want, or have any wish, to leave LAX but somewhere decent for lunch, or a seating area with a view of the outside world would be nice!

Thanks

Best Seller
Los Angeles City Tour
275 reviews
from US$84.00*
Los Angeles and Hollywood Small-Group...
29 reviews
from US$198.99*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
197 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours in LAX

You can try the Encounter restaurant at LAX http://www.encounterlax.com/

But, once you leave the gate area, won't you need to go through security again anyway? You could walk to In-N-Out or take a cab to nearby Manhattan Beach (3 miles away) for alternatives.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,630 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours in LAX

We have a budget crisis looming which may result in longer lines at immigration and at security. We won't know until this weekend how horrible it may be so your 6 hours may be a blessing in disguise. Now you can always go standby on the connecting flight You mention NorCal but perhaps the airport you are flying to has very few flights

Edited: 28 February 2013, 19:16
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours in LAX

According to what I've read, the main impact will be TSA's ability to pay overtime in order to staff up for busy travel periods, and to backfill staffers as they leave TSA. So I would not expect there to be much of an impact in the next few days but time will tell.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours in LAX

Well, a bit less than 4 hours, since you do need to get to your second terminal, and go through security, with more than 0 minuts to spare. Boarding can stop before the actual scheduled departure time. I'd allow a minimum of 30-40 mins. even if you don't need to check in (i.e., you've given your checked bags at the transfer desk after Customs, and have your boarding pass for your onward flight).

I'd second the idea of the Encounter Restaurant. Great place for place spotting. We had dinner there last week, and the quality was better than we'd experienced a year before. Even just get bar snacks and drinks if you like. Hours are:

-Lunch: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 7 days a week

-Dinner: 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

4:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday

In-N-Out Burgers has its fans. I'm not personally among them, especially since you'd have to walk a ways or take a shuttle bus and walk to get there.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 21:01
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,031 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours in LAX

Encounter is your best option. It's in the center of LAX.

Here's a link to your other options:

…eater.com/archives/2012/05/23/where_to_eat_…

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
298 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours in LAX

Thanks for the replies.

Until Bmi discontinued it, I used to transit thru Chicago from Manchester en route to Sacramento. The immigration queues were horrendous, as was the 4 hour internal flight with United!

Seattle, and especially Portland, were really easy with time for a beer and a wander around despite the short connection time.

If all goes smoothly I shall head for 'Encounter'. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours in LAX

Also consider the Daily Grill in the TBI. It is very good.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
298 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hours in LAX

Update.

Thanks for all your replies.

I arrived just before noon yesterday KLM 747 from AMS. Wheels down to clearing immigration and rechecking my bag 45 minutes.That was quick! Three minute walk from T2, in the sun, to 'Encounter' where I spent 2 hours eating a decent meal and watching the world go by. V interesting from a non plane spotter point of view! Even better if you are a plane spotter! Way better than staying in a terminal. Ate a fried chicken salad with bacon , nuts, fruit and a litre of sparkling water to rehydrate. For airport food I thought it pretty tasty, and good value at sub $30 inc tip. Then a 5 minute walk to T5 for my early evening flight to Sacramento. If I ever transit through LAX again I shall definitely return. Encounter was pretty quiet so I assume a lot of passengers are not aware of it...well done TA.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 17:32
9. Re: 6 hours in LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 07:18