We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15% extra charge at restaurant for providing "livable wage"

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
15% extra charge at restaurant for providing "livable wage"

We had lunch at the Proud Bird restaurant, adjacent to LAX, a week ago, and saw on the menu and bill that they provided a "livable wage" and thus were adding a 15% charge that was NOT a gratuity for staff. There weren't many people there in mid-afternoon, but one loudly objected to the charge, and I believe the manager tok it off. I thought I read that this charge was mandated by the airport authority and applied to all restaurants under their jurisdicgtion. The Proud Bird, while outside the main airport complex, is apparently on airport land.

We did later eat at the Encounter restaurant in the middle of LAX, but I see any notation of the same charge, and forgot to ask about it. Anyone else run into it? We did still enjoy our lunch.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15% extra charge at restaurant for providing "livable wage"

There is a living wage ordinance for contractors. It concerns what the employer pays its employees. Each business obviously can charge whatever they like, but I imagine that will chase quite a few people away from the Proud Bird.

2. Re: 15% extra charge at restaurant for providing "livable wage"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 06:15