We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Hi,

Sorry if my questions have been answered somewhere in this forum,as I have yet to do thorough research. However, I need to have urgent answers as we need to book tickets in the next few days to get cheaper bargain. Myself and my girlfriend are planning to travel to LA from Kuala Lumpur and back via San Francisco to Singapore. My questions:

1) How many days should I spend at these two cities, would 8-10 days sufficient or too rushing?

2) As we do not have plenty of time, we thought we would like to check out the best way to travel between these two cities. We do not plan to drive. We either fly or use other public transport (either bus, train, or any other suggestions?)

3) The best itineraries within the time frame? It should include Grand Canyon, and shopping of course.

4) We are about to book our flight tickets, any other better and cheaper airlines other than Malaysia Airlines and silkair?

Appreciate really a fast response. Thanks again everyone.

Universal CityWalk Hollywood
Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Olvera Street
Historic Walking Areas, Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Check kayak.com for flights to San Francisco from Kuala Lumpur / Singapore. Also check that web site, and www.soutwest.com, for internal flights in the US between San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas.

Without a car, and to maximize your time, you'll want to fly between these three cities - San Francisco, LA and Las Vegas, ending up back in San Francisco for the flight home. There's no best order to do these in, so any order is fine. All of these flights are 70 minutes or less. Go to Vegas for a) shopping - outlet malls are easy to get to from central Las Vegas and b) the Grand Canyon - you can take day trips there from Vegas via tour companies. For LA and San Francisco, be advised that there are multiple airports in each region - in San Francisco, there's SFO, OAK (Oakland) and SJC (San Jose) - in LA, there's LAX, BUR (Burbank), LGB (Long Beach), SNA (Santa Ana / John Wayne) and ONT (Ontario). Apart from SFO and LAX, these are small airports so are quicker to get in and out of, and in some cases are closer to where you want to go than the two big airports SFO and LAX. For instance, BUR is closer to Hollywood and downtown LA than LAX is.

If you have 8 nights, I'd do 3 in LA, 3 in SF and 2 in Las Vegas.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Each city forum has plenty of info on what to do and see in the areas. MachThree has some great ideas and plans. As far as the cheapest flight from KL to the US, there may be other websites local to your country that people may be using. you need to check with your friends and colleagues or the Air Travel forums

If you fly the SF area, please use OAK or SFO as they are the most convenient to use to get to SF

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Thank you for the reply guys. We have bought our tickets using Malaysia Airlines departing KL-LA on 21/6 and coming back 3/7. We have yet to finalize our itinerary. Since they are only two of us (two ladies in our 30's), we are thinking either flying at some parts and some parts we would like to use tour. Any suggestions on itinerary and tour?

We are thinking of this way:

1) 21/6-23/6 - LA

2) 24/6-27/6 - San Francisco

3) 28/6-1/7 - Las Vegas

4)2/7-3/7-LA for flight home and final shopping.

Any suggested inputs are very much welcome. Thank you.

Edited: 08 June 2013, 18:02
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Ok. What input are you looking for? You have x days and 3 places to visit. LV is not in Ca so please look at that forum. The La and SF fora have info on what to do and see in the TOP questions. So now would be a great time to read that and plan you vacation

By the way please use June and July as month as we write our date format as mm-dd and not did-mm

Edited: 08 June 2013, 18:43
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,104 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

There's no reason to use a tour to visit 3 cities... you can easily book hotels on your own, and find activities that interest YOU, not some random tour company. (And frankly, in the US, most tour itineraries are not geared to 30-year-olds, but to either an older set looking to see everything from a bus window, or a younger set looking for an adventure trip.) The only tour I'd consider is an overnight to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas, and those forums should have lots of info on your choices there.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Lodging in Las Vegas will be much more expensive in the weekend than during the week. Your plans now have Las Vegas in the weekend.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Thank you all for your feedbacks. Sorry for the vague post. I have yet to do much research as currently very busy with work. However, these are a few questions I would like to ask:

1) We only have 11 days in total. So we are thinking of getting a car with a driver to drive us from one location to another, or we may fly between cities (we have yet to decide). We would like to see places as much as possible but we do not want it to be too rush until we are unable to enjoy it. Where could we get information on car with driver? Flights we should be able to find it from Kayak.com and some other sites (any other recommended sites?)

2) We would like to consider some tours as most tours have guides that could tell us the history of the places if we didn't have time to do much reading before going (we are really short of time - need to complete few big reports before going!). Which websites are reliable for us to find good tour operators?

3) We would to plan our itinerary which include tours plus free and easy. Free and easy will include visiting some places that can easily be reached by train or public transport as well as shopping.

4) we definitely will go for tour for Grand Canyon to save time and hassle-free (I hope!)

5) Where are the best area to stay in Los Angeles, SF and Las Vegas (sorry, we know this is not the forum for Las Vegas)? We have yet to do hotel booking,. Any other sites for hotel booking?

We would like to also include shopping..should we shop in Las Vegas or in LA?

TET14, if Las Vegas hotels are expensive during weekends, how about LA & SF, any ideas?

Will add more once I do some reading.

Thank you.

Azmmms

Edited: 09 June 2013, 17:24
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,269 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Azmmms

You need to fly between this distant cities. You don't have time and the cost for a private driver would be thousands of dollars. Look at Southwest Airlines for flights between the cities; two bags fly free!

The best area for your travel group to stay in each of the 3 cities is best discussed on each city forum. Here is the fastest way to get it done. I'll use San Francisco as an example.

- Go to the San Francisco forum page on a regular computer.

- Look to the right. There is a section called "Top Questions." Folks who know & love SF and who want visitors to have a spectacular experience have already collected all the information you need.

- Read the neighborhood info and the lodging articles. Then read the hotel reviews for places that appeal to you. Make a short list of appropriate hotels.

- Post on the SF forum with info about your dates, travel group, budget, and travel style. Share your short list of hotels. Participate in that thread just like you are here on this thread.

Note that for some destinations, you need to simultaneously research your activities as well as lodging. Los Angeles is so huge that you'll need to figure out what you want to do before you can decide where to stay. Both Las Vegas & San Francisco have a smaller geographic area that appeals to visitors and easy access to tourism destinations. But to decide what you want to do in L.A., read those excellent Top Questions.

Shopping is a topic on all three forums. I think Las Vegas has the easiest access to outlet malls, if that's your kind of shopping. L.A. has some huge malls with a variety of stores. And SF is so compact that you can get to almost any kind of store you want, but there isn't an outlet mall in the City.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

Thank you MachThree, Tet14, belomiser, SFSusanW, PacificNWFamily for your feedback.

I have more or less make some changes based on the feedback from all of you.

The following is my draft itinerary:

1) 6/21- Arrived LA in the morning and Get a flight, fly direct to San Francisco

6/21-6/24 - San Francisco

6/25-6/29 - LAS Vegas (Grand Canyon)

6/30-7/3- LA

Would this be too rush? Could we actually include San Diego too somewhere in the itinerary? I have yet to include the detail itinerary. Will get to it once reading is done :).

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Thank you.

Azmmms

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to LA & SAN FRANCISCO in June/July this year

How do you want to go to Grand Canyon NP? Best is to rent a car and drive and stay for one night. Fixed wings flights go to the National Parks on daytrips but also bustours. Don't confuse the National Park to a place closer to Las Vegas called Grand Canyon West. The National Park is much deeper wider and more colorful.