We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Topic
Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

One of my greatest pleasures living in Los Angeles is getting out to see wildflowers in the spring. This website should help visitors and locals see some of our stunning, natural areas. My favorite wildflower hikes and walks are in the Santa Monica Mountains. Even if you don't get many flower sightings, there are usually good views of the Pacific, and that makes the hike very worthwhile:

wildflowerconservancy.org/p/links-to-online-…

Of course, please don't pick any flowers as the seeds are important to the future!

Debbie

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

Nice site, thanks for sharing it.

We usually head south to Palos Verdes to their Peninsula Land Conservancy, also for some beautiful views.

http://www.pvplc.org/

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

Thanks, Debbie, for starting this topic. My Sweet Polly Purebred and I are wildflower fans as well.

Here in California's Antelope Valley, comprised of northern Los Angeles and eastern Kern Counties, we are pretty much wildflower central. We remain hopeful of our premier flower, the California Poppy - the Golden State's state flower - will be blooming and showing well perhaps in late April according to this report: http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html Time will tell, of course. Other photos and areas around Southern California, especially more rural desert areas are listed in the link given. Spring has sprung here, our peach tree has bloomed in the front yard with beautiful lavender and white tones, and the wildflowers here will be showing better very soon. . . at least that's the usual pattern.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

Thanks for those two links; love it! CANative - I like the idea of Palos Verdes, I'll follow it with a long overdue visit to the Southcoast Botanical Garden.

Underdog_SPP - I'll keep checking your link. I've been to the Poppy Reserve in Antelope Valley twice but it was windy once and cloudy once; not good conditions for poppies. It's a long drive from here, but I remain determined!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

ddffpp, I too remain determined to see another beautiful gorgeous California Golden Poppy season here, especially at the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve. Huell Howser famously took a great photograph of acres of irresistably beautiful poppies there. . . they're due.

We along with Sweet Polly Purebred's brother from Mojave came out to the Reserve on that really windy and cold Sunday day two years ago. I couldn't believe the cold. Last week, we were up to 88 sunny degrees F.! So I suppose anything is possible if you wait for it. . . (smile)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

In the meantime, when I can't find the time to get to one of the big areas, I just have to go down Manhattan Beach Blvd. to Poliwog Park to our own little botanical garden, to view CA Native plants!

manhattanbeachbotanicalgarden.org/visit-the-…

6. Re: Wildflower hikes, walks, and drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 04:17