We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

I am an Australian wanting to visit the US for 6-12 months and it seems I have to apply for a B2 visitor visa. I have been online and not sure where I apply for that. I thought that I probably would have to go to Sydney for an interview but all I find online is different companies wanting me to go through them to process the application. I am sure if I do this I will be paying more.going through these companies. Does anyone know where I apply for a B2 visa, is it Sydney that I have to go to for appointment or is it the consulate of the state i live in and would it be the consulate or the embassy.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,903 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

You need to contact the U.S. Embassy in Canberra to get the visa.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/index.html

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

You do not need to go through any company.

The issue will be finding the nearest US consulate for the interview.

All the applications material is on-line, as above

Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

I am about to go through this process (just waiting to confirm the trip and dates).

I believe that you apply online here http://www.ustraveldocs.com/au/index.html (this is the link from the consulate website) Somewhere you select the consulate that you want to do the interview at. I did a search and it lists Sydney consulate for Queenslanders. Wish there was a consulate in Brisbane, would make it easier for Queenslanders than flying down to Sydney for it.

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

Thank you everyone for your help and I have found the relevant information from the links you gave me. One more question please. I believe I will be applying for a 6 month visa for the US, I would like longer but it sounds like I will probably only be issued a 6 month visa. I have heard but cannot find any information on this that if I receive this Visa it last for 5 years and I can enter the US for 6 months at a time. Does anyone know if this is correct and if it is correct once I leave the US after spending 6 months there how long before I can re-enter the US. Hope someone can help me here.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

You might read this article:

ehow.com/list_7792509_reentry-requirements-b…

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

You can extend a B1/2 visa while in the US, but you need to apply at an Immigration office with the form, show reason as to why you need an additional 180 days, and show proof of how you will support yourself without working.

If you plan on doing this, do not leave it to the last week. I have read of some of these applications taking 6 weeks

Whatever do NOT overstay the 180 days you are allowed in the US on the B1/2 visa. It's 180 days, not 6 months. There is a difference. Even one day off may imperil your being able to enter again.

7. Re: Information on B2 visitor visa for Australian citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16