We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Port Pirie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Hi I am travelling to the USA next month for 3 weeks. We will be going to Anaheim, Las Vegas, New York & Hawaii.

We want to purchase 2 prepaid sim cards to take with us so we can call each other, places in the USA and home to Australia a few times. More importantly we want something with a data plan so we can use google maps, etc.

I have had a look online and there seems to be a few companies that seem to do good deals with unlimites USA calls and text and quite a few hours of international calls and 2GB of data but just want to check who other people have used because I want to use a reputable company?

Best Seller
Los Angeles City Tour
271 reviews
from US$84.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
196 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles and Hollywood Small-Group...
28 reviews
from US$198.99*
292 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Hi there

We travel annually to the USA from Australia for a month and have used a variety of methods from roaming to prepaid throw away phones viber and the prepaid USA SIM card which is the best option

You need to ensure you get an At&T one to get good coverage they are the equivalent of our Telstra

Buy your sim now online from a dealer in Sydney www.usaprepaidsimcard.com.au . Go to website order sims they come out registered mail with instructions for activation which you do from home then go onto his website buy the appropriate credit according tithe plan you want and get him to add the credit the day you leave . Turn phone on when you arrive and you have service ! Easy as and cheap

We go for a little over a month and buy the 30 day unlimited smart phone plan which gives you unlimited calls snd texts to USA landlines and mobiles and unlimited SMS to Australia mobiles and 1gb data for use on the run . We then add the $10 international pack which gives you 250 mins of calls to Australian numbers

Hope that helps

Port Pirie...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Thankyou that is very helpful. Definetly think I will be opting for a prepaid sim.

I have also looked at this website though which seems to have a good deal:

USA Smartphone SIM - €89,90

- Unlimited FREE calls & text within USA

- 2GB flatrate data in 3G speed

- Up to 20 hours of international calls

- Receive calls for free

- Use for 30 days (extendable)

prepaidsimcard.org/…

The only thing I am concerned with the one you mkentioned, www.usaprepaidsimcard.com.au ,is that you only get 1GB of data and I dont think that will be enough.

Has anyone used www.prepaidsimcard.org ????

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

you can get an extra data pack if you wish? I always use the free wifi when wifi is avail at hotspots and hotel and just use the data for checking emails etc on the go. We have never had a problem

I like that its in Australia, you set it up before you go, the guy Nick is extremely helpful and will handle almost everything for you

Its also a AT&T sim and a lot of the other third party ones arent. That will give you the best coverage

Good luck

Auckland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

I got my card from MrSimCard.com - it arrived by post to me in New Zealand pretty promptly. I haven't travelled yet (leaving in 5 days) so can't speak to the phone service, but the range of SIMs available was good.

Redwood City
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Look here the best option for you:

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414494,00.asp

Townsville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

We are travelling in a few months to similar places in the US that you travelled. I have been researching the sim cards to use over there. Which sim and provider did you end up by using and what was the cost?

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
347 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Does anyone else get the prices on prepaidsimcard.org/… only in Euro?? Is it an Australian site or not??

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

prepaidsimcard.org is European, as their office location is in Stockholm, Sweden.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
347 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

Thanks chcocpenguin! Will look for an Australian version of the site.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA

how did you go with your sim and which one did you get. we doing just about same trip and looking for one

Reply to: Prepaid sim card for use in the USA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted