We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
270 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

I'll be in LAX for 10 hour layover before heading back to SFO is there enough time to take a ferry to Avalon in Catalina Island then come back???The ferries leave from Venice Beach if I'm not mistaken.Otherwise I'll probably just hop on a Greyhound bus to come home within that time frame then see the California Coast.This is for late April

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

the ferry that's closest would leave from Marina Del Rey. But they don't run too often and take a lot longer than the ones out of Long Beach and San Pedro.

You would be best driving to Long Beach and taking the helicopter trip, where you could probably write your own schedule.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

I don't believe that there are ferries from Marina Del Rey any more - I think to LAX the closest terminal for any of the Catalina ferries is in San Pedro. Note also there are no ferries from Venice Beach.

In any case, I highly doubt this would work. You could check the specific ferry schedule, but in general the ferries are basically going to Catalina in the morning, and the return trips are in the afternoon. That, plus transit times to get to and from LAX to the ferry (especially the return trip, which, if this is on a weekday, is probably going to be made in the midst of rush hour traffic), plus the actual transit time for the ferry itself on the return trip, and I think you'll find this doesn't work.

The usual suggestion for a layover at LAX of this length is to take a short taxi ride over to the pier area in Manhattan Beach, which is not too far from LAX. There you can enjoy the beach for a while, grab some lunch/dinner, and do some boutique shopping. Alternatively you can take a taxi ride over to the pier and the 3rd St. Promenade area in Santa Monica, which is a bit further away from LAX. The main thing will be your luggage and what to do with it during this time - if you booked your trip on one ticket, your luggage should be automatically checked through to your next flight. If not, you'll need to check it yourself to the next flight and usually the airlines won't accept luggage for a flight until 7 or 8 hours before the flight. If that's the case, to maximize your time it may be best to rent a car, store your luggage in it, and drive to the above places yourself instead of using a taxi.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

No you don't have time. The boat leaves from Long Beach/San Pedro, an hour from LA, and takes 90 minutes each way and departs only at 9 and 3 on both sides. It's barely even a day trip!

www.catalinaexpress.com/scheduleFares.php

Edited: 29 March 2013, 15:34
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

Only if you are a very fast swimmer. LOL

No, you do not have time.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

What I'm wondering is: What will you do with your luggage? Also, since there are hourly flights between :LAX and OAK via southwest.com, why are you limited to just a 10 hour layover? Are you arriving early afternoon at LAX?

Hotwire.com has deals on stays at LAX hotels. I'd stay overnight. Also, re: Greyhound, the terminal is not near the airport, you'd either need to take a $50+ taxi ride into downtown L.A. to reach it or you'd have to take the Union Station Flyaway Bus into downtown $7 (35 to 65 minutes depending on time of day, leaves every 30 minutes) followed by a taxi ride to the bus terminal ($15 / 7 minutes).

When you add it all up, it's probably about the same cost to fly on southwest (or virgin atlantic and it's certainly a lot faster (8+ hours versus 1 hour)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

>>>10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??<<<

In a helicopter.....

I am with HSJ, take SWA back to the Bay Area.

Oh.... and the Greyhound bus won't go on the coast I don't believe, just up the 5.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 16:47
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

There is no longer a ferry from Marina del Rey to Catalina. The bad economy has taken its toll.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

The Greyhound buses do not go along the California coast to San Francisco.

You really need to research this.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

While most Greyhound buses go up I-5, you can choose an option that takes you up Hwy. 101 (takes about 12 hours, longer than the I-5 option) but you wouldn't be on the coast except for around Santa Barbara (might also get a short view around San Luis Obispo but I'm not sure). Mostly just coastal valleys. Likewise, the best train goes from downtown L.A. to S.F. and is called the Coast Starlight, but most of the day it follows those coastal valleys, basically up Hwy. 101, not on the coast. Amtrak does use the code LAX to refer to Union Station in downtown L.A. , which could add to confusion.

I agree about no time to go to Catalina. Remember, need to allow time to get off your plane, store or transfer bags, get back tor your net flight, etc. Save Catalina (or the Channel Islands) for a future trip.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 17:47
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
270 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 hours layover in LAX is there time to go to Catalina??

Thanx for the tips it's just that I haven't been to Los Angeles since 1975 so I'm just getting some information on what to do during that time.I have a backpack as a carry-on so that isn't a problem.Well then as for Catalina I'll just pop a stick of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum in My mouth then tell everyone Catalina was great LOL Thanks a bunch for the information.Are there still Copper Penney Coffeehouses in the L.A.Area???

Is it safe to walk around L.A. with a S.F.Giants cap on????