We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

My husband and I and our two adult daughters are visiting Los Angeles for a long Memorial Day weekend. I booked rooms at Hotel Angeleno, but have been reading reviews and am having second thoughts. The price range is good and parking and Wi-Fi are both included. However, I am now reading that construction on 405 is presenting problems and that there is no place to eat or shop within walking distance. Does anyone know how long the construction on 405 is expected to last? Is this hotel as isolated as it sounds? My daughters want to be able to walk to something. We will be booking two rooms for five nights and want to stay under $1600 including parking and Wi-Fi. Thank you for your help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

Its correct, Angeleno is not really well-located for walking anywhere. The big construction project on the 405 isn't expected to end until mid-2014.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

405 construction seemingly has no end in sight, although they say it'll be another year or two. I'll believe it when it happens. Because of the construction, that hotel is unfortunately situated, traffic on Sunset is the worst of the worst.

Look into Ambrose Hotel or Sheraton Delfina, The Palomar, Loews Hollywood or Andaz (check prices on kayak.com).

Edited: 31 March 2013, 17:00
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

The Angeleno is a great hotel and not "isolated" in the sense it is close to a lot of things, but not a place where you stay to explore the neighborhood like you might at The Farmer's Daughter Motel or the spots that Yoga mentioned. I'd also check The Orlando and Elan.

Will you get anything close to $1600 including parking and Wi-Fi.? Not sure, there is a reason places price the way they do. Please do follow up and let us know what you find.

I love the Angeleno Hotel, but probably not for more than a couple of nights unless all I wanted was a nice place to sleep and chill.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,973 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

For May 24-28, Hotwire.com has some great deals on 'unnamed hotels'. The site discloses general info about their offerings: star-rating, approximate location, a 'customer approval rating' and a list of amenities but they don't disclose the name of the hotel until you book. For these dates, Hotwire.com is offfering the following (among others): Note: these prices are BEFORE the 15.3% 'room tax'

1. A 4-star hotel in Hollywood for $147. There are only four 4-stars in Hollywood and they're all good hotels so you can't miss. You will have to add parking and wi-fi though. If the hotel is either the Roosevelt or the Loews, you can park for any 24 hour period for just $10. If you're awarded the "W" hotel, there are open air lots adjacent to the hotel where you'll be able to negotiate a 24-hour rate of between $10 and $15. The last hotel, the Redbury, has never been awarded on Hotwire -- although it is a spectacular hotel.

2. A 3.5-star in Santa Monica-Venice-Marina del Rey for $181. This property is MOST PROBABLY the Doubletree Suites, a well-rated Hilton-brand hotel located about a 10-minute walk to downtown and the beach.

3, A 4-star in Century-City-Westwood for #130. This is most probably the Los Angeleno.

4, A 4-star in Beverly Hills-West Hollywood fir $149. This is most probably the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills but it might be a number of other 4-stars in either West Hollywood or Beverly Hills. You can't lose either way, as the 4-stars in the areas are great properties.

Remember, you'll need to add 15.3% 'room tax' and parking and wi-fi in most cases.

Happy hunting.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

Bear in mind that if you stay in Santa Monica, but want to sightsee anywhere to the east, you get to deal with crossing under the 405 Freeway on one of the congested through streets.

So it's isn't a better solution for general sightseeing.

In fact this was an issue during the LA Open golf tournament. The winning golfer who is from Long Beach, said his most important local knowledge tip was to stay in a hotel on the proper side of the freeway!

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

Thank you for all your help. I canceled the reservation at Hotel Angeleno. I then went to Hotwire and tried to get a four star hotel in Hollywood. However, our dates are actually May 23 to May 28 and I was unable to get the $147 rate for those dates. I then tried four star hotels in Beverly Hills and found one for $160 a night. I booked that hotel. That turned out to be Hotel InterContinental Century City. Is that part of Beverly Hills? At any rate, there are no cancellations so I hope we will be happy there. I will let you know when we return. Thanks again for your help.

We live near New York City and have many fine restaurants here but are there any restaurants that you would particularly recommend that are not ridiculously expensive? Perhaps something different than what we have here.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,973 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

Century City is next to Beverly Hills and, it would appear, that Hotwire now includes it in that neighborhood (strange, since Hotwire has a neighborhood called Century City-Westwood which now appears to include Westwood and Brentwood!)

Well, there's mostly good news!

Pros:

1. The hotel is a highly-rated here on Trip Advisor and is in a very central location in L.A.

2. There are some dining and shopping options near the hotel -- most of these in the Westfield Mall which is a 10-minute walk from the hotel -- straight up Avenue of the Stars.

Cons:

1. Parking is expensive at the hotel and there are no alternatives as street parking is banned or restricted in neighboring areas. The rate is $33 per day (plus tips to the valet when you pickup the car).

2. Century City is a 'business district' so the adjacent office towers will be dark after 6 pm and there will be little in the way of a 'pedestrian presence'. The same is true of neighboring Beverly Hills, however but you're within a 10 minute drive of a number of neighborhoods which are 'up late':

a. Westwood (to the west -- 8 minutes)

b. Beverly Grove/Beverly Center area (to the east -- 9 minutes)

c. West Hollywood/Sunset Strip (to the northeast -- 10 minutes)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

oops. I wouldn't want to be there without a car!

The Westfield mall stays open til 7 pm on Sunday and 9 pm on weekdays. However some of the restaurants have later hours as does Gelsens.

westfield.com/centurycity/centre-information/

There are also a few other restaurants in CC outside the mall. If you watched Top Chef you may remember Chef Kuniko from season 10. She is now at Hinoki & the Bird restaurant. Tues thru Sat only for dinner.

http://hinokiandthebird.com/

Edited: 01 April 2013, 02:43
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

Intercontinental is a nice hotel, but as others have mentioned, its a quiet area at night. The good news is that the area is more walkable than the Angeleno is, but not so much more. The Westfield mall is going to be a 5+ minute walk and its really the only place to walk to, especially after hours.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,973 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Angeleno or Another Hotel?

I'm assuming you'll have a car, right?