We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport and area to stay

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport and area to stay

Hello

I'm planning a trip to LA. I won't be driving so will be relying solely on public transport. Is this adequate to get me around the landmarks? If I need to rely on public transport and want to be in an area where there are lots to do, which area should I stay?

Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport and area to stay

Yes, public transit can work pretty well to get to most tourist attractions. However, in some cases it can be time consuming so its often better to have your own car if for no other reason than to make more efficient use of your time.

In any case, the best place to stay without a car is in Hollywood, near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. This is a big public transit and tour bus hub, and hotels in this area span a wide range of prices - high end includes the Hollywood Roosevelt and the Loew's Hollywood. Mid range includes the Magic Castle, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, Best Western Hollywood Plaza, The BLVD, the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Orchid Suites. Low end would include the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave. and the Liberty Hotel.

I would suggest familiarizing yourself with how to get public transit directions from Google Maps - this will be an invaluable skill in planning your trip. maps.google.com

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport and area to stay

Just using public transportation your two best options are Downtown LA and Hollywood. Depending on the specific sights you want to see, Hollywood is probably the best location.

What is your budget per night?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport and area to stay

Other options if you relying on public transit are -- West Hollywood, area near the Farmer's Market/The Grove, downtown Culver City, and Little Tokyo in downtown. In downtown, the area near LA Live is good. But, your budget and actual itinerary are the key factors in making your decision.

HTH

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport and area to stay

thank you.

I havent researched too much yet on the places i want to visit but the couple on my mind at the moment are:

WB set

Universal Studio

Shopping (don't know where yet)

Farmers markets

The observatory at the top of the hill (I read it yesterday but can't remember the name)

Not sure how expensive LA hotels are. But would like something 4* for under $200, is that achievable for december?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport and area to stay

No, 4* hotels are not going to be less than $200, really at any time of the year. The only way to achieve that is to book one through a "blind" bidding site like www.priceline.com or www.hotwire.com - these sites offer hotels for cheap, but they do not tell you the name of the specific hotel you are getting until you've agreed to pay for it and are locked in. And even then, $200 might not be achievable, especially for a 4-star in a convenient area. 3-stars is more realistic for $200.

The observatory you're thinking of is the Griffith Observatory - www.griffithobs.org - the observatory is closed Mondays, and is only reachable on public transportation on Saturday and Sunday. Other days you would need to take a taxi there.

Based on your list of sights, Hollywood as suggested above will make the most sense. The two four-star hotels around Hollywood / Highland are the Roosevelt and the Loew's. I suspect you'll find that their rates if you book directly with the hotel are in the $300 range. For $200 in that area, the Magic Castle, Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame would probably be your best choices, but these are really 2-3 star type places.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 14:54
Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport and area to stay

ok thank you. I'll have a look

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport and area to stay

Are there other hotels outside hollywood area but close to the subway that i can consider that is better value for money for 4*?

I understand there is a subway stop in hollywood, so as long as i stay close to a subway stop, i can get to hollywood if need be. Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport and area to stay

In general Hollywood is one of the least expensive areas for hotels. There are two other 4-stars in Hollwood, in a slightly less convenient location than those already mentioned, and they are probably going to be more expensive than Loew's or the Roosevelt. They are the "W" Hollywood, and the Redburry.

Another alternative is to stay in downtown LA. I'm not sure of the star ratings of all these hotels, but they're all nice and all are in walking distance to the subway - some may be more in the $200 range, at least on weekends. JW Marriott at LA Live, Ritz Carlton (these first two probably too expensive for sure), The Omni, The Bonaventure, The Biltmore, the downtown Marriott, The Standard downtown (pretty sure its only 3 stars), the Doubletree (formerly the Kyoto Grand), the Sheraton (also probably more 3-star;ish) and Hilton Checkers.

The only other semi-central area you might find 4-star hotels for cheap would be at LAX, but its not a good place to stay without a car.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport and area to stay

thank you. I would have thought that hollywood would have been one of the more expensive areas given that so many attractions are located there.

I just did a quick search between Magic Castle (3*) and Loew's (4*) and Magic Castle was more expensive around $80 more a night. Is Loew's a good hotel? I had a look at the reviews and seem quite decent. If i stay at Loew's, are all the attractions I've listed so far reachable by the subway or do I still have to arrange for a car?

Thanks again

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport and area to stay

If you stay in Hollywood, you can take tour buses to your various destinations if the metro doesn't go. There is a public bus that goes to Los Felix from Hollywood. If you are up to a long walk up a hill, you could hike up to observatory.

If you are interested in architecture or museums, the Getty is fabulous with great views of the ocean. We had an Australian family stay with us during the 1984 Olympics. They managed to get every where by public transportation. Aussies are resourceful.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 06:25