We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

We have booked the LA in a Day tour which takes in the Farmers Market for lunch - do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

Jo.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

Morels -- a French Bistro (one of the two hotels adjacent to the big fountain in the middle of the Grove shopping center which is next to the Farmers Market (a walk of about a minute)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,968 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

There are 30 fun spots or more, any kind of you food you want or don't want?

I love the French place, Mr. Marcel's; the Greek spot, Ulysses's Village; the Brazilian place, Pampas Grill; the Cajun place, The Gumbo Pot and the seafood spot, Tusquellas Fish & Oyster Bar.

But there are so many great places, it just depends on what you want.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

I'd eat at the Farmers Market itself; casual, an LA classic, and lots of fun. My personal favorite is Gumbo Pot, which has great Cajun food. It is a bit hard to find, tucked away in the back. Also, Loteria Grill is there, and they have very good Mexican food.

Farmers Market has been around for @ 80 years and the look of it hasn't changed a bit, including the green metal patio furniture and the green awnings. One thing that HAS changed--and improved-- since my childhood in the 50's is the food-- which is MUCH better, if you avoid the traditional steam-table places that have lingered since then. I'd stay away from the old fashioned stuff, and go to one of the newer stalls such as mentioned above. But do buy some English Toffee from Littlejohns. Really yummy, and been around forever. In fact, it would make a good gift for folks at home, if you are allowed to take foodstuff back.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

I'd go for the out door eating area in the Farmers Market itself rather than a restaraunt in the Grove

Here's a list of the foods and I'm a paricular fan of the Gumbo Pot

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/restaurants/

Reviews: www.yelp.com/biz/farmers-market-los-angeles

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

For Farmer's Market there's really nothing outstanding. It's mostly take-away ethnic foods. Mostly hit or miss

AS HSJ pointed out, the adjacent Grove shopping area has more upscale and chain style restaurants.

Besides Morels, some of the popular chain restaurants are Cheesecake Factory, the smaller Umami Hamburger chain, the fairly good BBQ joint Wood Ranch BBQ.

Personally, I like Maggiano's

You may want to find out how much time you guys are allowed for lunch.

Dr. Z

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

While drill-and-fill usually gives great advice, I have to respectfully disagree. Why eat at a chain that you could eat at anywhere, at any random mall? Farmers Market provides a uniquely LA experience-- and frankly, some of the stalls in Farmers Market provide food that I'd much prefer eating than any of the places he mentioned. There is indeed some very tasty and fresh food at Farmers Market.

Scott knows his food, btw. I love Gumbo Pot and always look forward to going there--- so its the only one I know. But my husband's plate from Loteria looked great last time we were there, and the other places Scott mentioned are probably good bets too.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,139 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

Just read the reviews at Yelp that I posted and I think your mind will be made up if its good food that you're looking for

Now with that said, and I'm a huge fan of the Farmers Market, I have to admit that Morels, which I've never eaten at, looks pretty good and does not appear to be a national chain. You can read its reivews here yelp.com/biz/morels-french-steakhouse-and-bi…

As to Maggianos at the Grove, it's the same as the one two miles from my house in New Jersey. I'm not saying its bad, just that there is nothing uniquely LA about it.

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

Thank you all for your responses, we will definitely check out your suggestions. I think we are likely to eat in the Market itself rather than a chain (we will visit the Cheesecake Factory at some point, whilst over in the US as it is a favourite!).

Jo.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

Point well taken.....

my experience with the Farmer's Market has always been fairly mediocre. I have been going there since the late 60's and have never been overwhelmed by the food. Of course, a visitor for the first time will be astounded by the ethnic variety of food and that itself would set Farmer's Market away from the Grove choices.

I have not been to the Gumbo Pot but it's on my list. I was actually thinking of going to either Langer's or FM on Friday..... maybe I just made my decision!

Dr. Z

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Farmers market - 3rd Street - lunch recommendations

Dr Z - if you visit, let me know what you think.

Jo.