We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

Buffalo
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

I will be arriving into LAX on Thursday and traveling solo. I really don't want to pay the cab fare being just one person, which is the better or more recommended way to go to the Sheraton Downtown L.A. on Hope Street? I was thinking either a shared shuttle van, or taking the Flyaway bus to Union Station, and then taking a shorter cab ride from there. Thanks for any info, it is much appreciated. I will be arriving in the early afternoon.

Also, which shared shuttle van is more recommended in L.A., Prime Time or Super Shuttle, I know how Super Shuttle is in NYC and stay away from them there, was just wondering if their better in L.A.?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

If you do take the FlyAway bus, you can save yourself some money and instead of a short taxi ride, take the subway from Union Station to the 7th St. metro Center. The Sheraton is right across the street - you can actually enter the hotel by walking through the Macy's Plaza shopping center.

As far as shared vans go, personally I've only used Prime Time. As far as I can tell, they're both pretty similar. There are occasionally people who post here that are unhappy with Prime Time or Super Shuttle, and rarely do we see anyone posting that was happy with either one, but compared to the number of people that they transport, the number of people posting about them at all is pretty small.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

Hello Buffalo Amy, and welcome to the Los Angeles forum.

Both the Flyaway and Prime Time or Super Shuttle are good choices to get you from LAX to the Sheraton Downtown LA. You'll have to wait some on either of them while in the passenger pick up loop downstairs in LAX. No biggie. Flyaway has a set schedule, while the shuttle van companies are only allowed in once you telephone them to come pick you up (so be sure to do that after getting all your luggage to get them rolling to you). The one advantage Prime Time or Super Shuttle has is their "nonstop" directly to hotel service. . . no Metro Subway to take afterwards, plus they will assist you with your luggage to the bellman's station, if that's important to you. Rates for these shuttle companies to hotels is less than for an address in the city itself, a significant savings off the regular fare. Check it out.

As for which shuttle company to take, I personally have driven for Prime Time decades ago (so I know how they started up, knew the original owner/founder, and know how it's supposed to run) but I don't have insider knowledge of it anymore. It's the smaller company compared to Super Shuttle, kinda like the Hertz/Avis comparison at the rental car counter perhaps. I always am in favor of the Underdog, and take the smaller company, but that's just me.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 14:55
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

Just a small correction to Underdog's comments. You don't need to call the van company to them you've arrived unless you have a reservation with them. If you don't have a reservation, you can simply 'walk up' and they'll put you on the next available van (which could be there already or not).

While the Flyaway is a 'scheduled service', the schedule pretty much goes away pretty quickly since there are so many variables each day regarding traffic and passenger load so there's no real way to predict which service will be ready to go upon your arrival onto the 'traffic island' in front of the terminal at which the Flyaway and vans pull up.

I guess you COULD talk to the super shuttle and prime time dispatchers and ask them when the ETA of the next van to your destination will be and then you could walk to the Flyaway stop and ask the people waiting how long they've been waiting (the buses pull up every 30 minutes) and then make a decision or you could flip a coin.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,078 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

As a solo traveler I'd be inclined to lean to the Flyaway Bus and cab, subway or DASH bus (route B) to the Sheraton.

ladottransit.com/dash/…downtown.php

Buffalo
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

Thank you for all your advice and suggestions, it is much appreciated. I know this is off topic, but does anyone know if it's safe to walk to the Staples Center from the Sheraton and how long a walk it is? Thanks again!

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

Another small correction: you don't need to call the company when you have a reservation, the procedure is the same: go to the dispatcher and check in. I always reserve for the round trip -for me it is simpler to pay in advance-, and the longest I have waited for the van is 15 minutes

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

Here's a map of the walking route I would recommend: http://mapq.st/14XNqq9

As you can see, it's about a 15-minute walk. The walk is safe in the early evening; in the later evening (after a game or concert) part of that route is a little bit deserted. If it were me, I'd take the blue or expo line metro rail 1 stop: from the Pico station (adjacent to Staples) to 7th St/Metro Center (adjacent to your hotel). It's a 2-minute ride and the trains run every 12 minutes so it's actually faster than walking. You'll be on a train packed with others. Here's a map of the route: http://tinyurl.com/cucoywx

Note: Point "A" is the entrance to Staples

The little black circle with the blue tag that says "Metro Expo Line" is the above-ground (outdoor) station of the expo and blue metro rail lines.

Point "B" is the Sheraton with the 7th St station adjacent.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

I'd just cross the street to the 7th St. Metro Center and take the Expo / Blue Line light rail one stop to Pico.

9. Re: LAX Flyaway bus or shared shuttle van?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16