We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

Hi there, would very much like to try fresh local seafood such as spider crab, lobster, halibut etc. while in LA around 1 June. We are visiting Santa Barbara for 1 day, should I stop at Oxnard or just eat at Santa Barbara? Kindly advise the best restaurant to try at the recommended location too. Thanking you in advance.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

There is no guarantee that what you would get at a restaurant in any location is "local", that just isn't how the seafood business works in this day and age. Lobster and crab is seasonal, you can't catch it every day of the year so you have to know what is in season.

Santa Barbara Shellfish Co has a lot of local crustaceans, Brophy Brothers probably has some local seafood, a lot of restaurants might depending on what is in season, but I can't say which ones do on any given day.

On Saturdays Santa Barbara has a Fisherman's Market and the SB Fish Market in the harbor has local seafood off the boats that come in every day. You might ask them who they sell fish to locally for restaurants.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

My wife and I have eaten at Bropny Bros a few times and loved it although we haven't been to SB lately. I have no idea how local the seafood is but the ambience is outstanding especially if you sit upstairs on the veranda.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

You should visit the Ventura or Santa Barbara forums.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

In July, there will be a new seafood place opening up in Oxnard, N'Awlinz Bistro. Probably the best New Orleans Cajun / French Creole food outside of Louisiana.

A sample of their menu: Catfish Po' Boy; Shrimp Po' Boy; Oyster Po' Boy; Seafood Gumbo; Shrimp Crab Catfish Etouffee and more.

Note ....it may not be open when you arrive in June...but check back with me to see...

Dr. Z

Edited: 29 April 2013, 18:08
los angeles
Level Contributor
787 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

Most lobster and crab are farmed. I can get those live any day at Chinese supermarket. We catch local halibut around June-August in channel islands.

los angeles
Level Contributor
787 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

Here's my favorite when it comes to crabs ----> http://www.theboilingcrab.com/

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

I would choose a place in Santa Barbara. I just don't think Oxnard is worth a stop. At Santa Barbara Shellfish, you could ask which fish were caught locally.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,452 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

People shouldn't write off Oxnard so easily. One of our favorite, hidden weekend getaways is the Mandalay Beach Embassy Suites.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

And because of the Channel Islands Harbor there are some great seafood spots, some of which have local catches off the boats. Spots like Hook, Line & Sinker DO have local lobster and crab in their fish market. What I don't know is if the restaurant part of the company. I've never asked.

www.hooklineandsinkerseafood.com/index.html

Ditto for Fisherman's Catch.

www.fishermenscatch.com/fish_market.htm

But, I don't know when the local lobster & crab are in season, so I'd hate to say yeah, stop and then not have local items available.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
113 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

In Santa Barbara I'd recommend the Santa Barbara Shellfish company at the end of Stern's Wharf. Very casual and very fresh crabs and other seafood. It's also a very nice walk down the wharf to get there. My favorite place in oxnard for seafood is H&C seafood. Incredibly fresh, you pick your live crabs out of a tank and they steam them right up for you. It's all counter service so no tips necessary. It's all about the seafood and it's an incredible bargain for what you get.

10. Re: Oxnard or Santa Barbara for local seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 05:15